Freud Table Saw Blades

jim crockett

I know I've seen an explanation somewhere, but can't seem to find it now so I'll ask.

Can someone explain the difference between the different types of Freud blades - Avanti, Diablo, Industrial. I understand the difference between the red coating and the silver coating on the industrial blades but what about the black coating on some of them. Very confusing!

Thanks,

Jim

Charles McCracken or Scott Spencer, please pick up the white courtesy phone. :D

"Uuuhh.....hello?" (I'll try :huh:)

If I'm quoting Sir Charles correctly, the Avanti and Diablo lines both offer only thin kerf blades, and are made from the same materials on the same machinery as the Industrial line. The teeth on the Avanti and Diablo blades are smaller than those found in the Industrial line, sometimes the anti-noise/anti vibration patterns are different, and the Industrial line offers a much larger variety of both types of blades and kerf widths to suit more specific applications. There is also a Premier Line which currently includes the P410 Fusion and I think is now considered part of the Industrial line, but I'm unsure what other blades are part of that series. They are aimed at different market niches and are typically sold by different retailers. All of the Diablo blades have the Permashield coating, the TK/Avanti line gets a clear coat called "ICE", and the Industrial line can be coated with either. (It used to be that the "R" indicated the red Permashield, and I think "M" indicated no coating, but it's possible that the "M" now indicates the ICE coating on the Industrial series since I believe all the current production models get some coating). Be aware that there are older models floating around on the retail market that don't reflect the current offerings....new old stock (NOS), which I think fuels some confusion.

The black coating gets a bit trickier to explain.....I see some older models with the black coating, but I'm not positive if it's completely phased out or not.

Here's a link to their website, and hopefully Charles will be along with the official version. :thumb:

I prefer to go with their Industrial line whenever possible. It's often on sale for about the same price as a comparable Avanti or Diablo blades. You'll get more carbide, better selection for a given application, and they tend to be sold by wwing retailers.

HTH

Last edited:
Ive been using an Avanti blade the past few days, (I believe 24 T,the glue line ripper is 30T)) ripping mahogany, and its an incredible clean cut, no marks, no burns.
I cut 2 and 3/4 inch thick legs today, incredibly clean cuts.

I purchased quite a few of Freuds blades when Amazon ran that sale r discounting 15% if you purchased 3 or more.With the free second day shipping, it was too good a deal to pass up, I dont know if they still have it going on.but its a great deal to look into if its still around.(didnt see it just now)

Last edited: