Dog Gate - Intallment 4 - Getting Closer to Done

vaughn, thats beautiful man, no more needs to be done. Truthfully, I cant imagine a tiny bit of famowood showing meaning anything since IM sure th dog will leave his marks on that wood soon enough. The gate looks fantastic.
that is good work.

Great work Vaughn! I think this is going to look great installed. I hope your dogs appreciate all the work you put into this and don't scratch it up!

So do the dogs have to wear socks on their feet so they don't scratch the finish???
I'm sorry I haven't posted sooner, just wanted to start from the first and see the whole progression. Seeing it all together, I think you need to cut it down the middle and put two way hinges on each side!!!!!!!! Nothing cooler than the feeling of walking through a good pair of saloon doors!!!!
Very nice flatwork, hoping the blood clot that released from your hand and went to your brain dislodges and dissolveds soon, sure thought those jail bars could have been rope twisted or somehow used that there lathe on this project.
Seriously, beautiful work Vaughn!!!!!!

Vaughn,

That looks great. If I were making it, I'd take lots of pictures the second I got it installed, because Belle and Brisi would have it all chewed up the first day... ;)

The only way to keep them from chewing things up is to wrap it in sheet metal. And even then... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks guys. :wave: Knowing the gate will likely get scratched has made it a bit easier to live with some of the flaws.

...Turn anything lately???:dunno:

Yep...while I'm waiting for drier weather, I've been busy roughing out bowls and hollow forms. I've roughed out one or two pieces every night this last week. Trying to use up my overstock of green blanks before I lose them. :doh:

Shucks Vaughn, them lil Glitches really warnt yer fault, 's jes tha ya bin neglekin them flat werk tools sa long, they wuz jess fiddlin wi ya ta remin ya ta pay 'em mor tenshun mor offen 'n not spin all yer time wi tha spinny thang.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Seriously, not bad for an out of practice flatwork guy.:thumb:

When you get it installed though, you've absolutely got to post us pictures of those dogs when you first introduce them to the new Jail Gate.:D:D:D (I can't wait).

the whole story!

well done vaughn you showed the pitfalls as well as the work arounds to get to the final outcome you were after.. that shows the whole picture and that your human and the rest of us can make mistakes and not feel bad about it...:thumb:

Shucks Vaughn, them lil Glitches really warnt yer fault, 's jes tha ya bin neglekin them flat werk tools sa long, they wuz jess fiddlin wi ya ta remin ya ta pay 'em mor tenshun mor offen 'n not spin all yer time wi tha spinny thang.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

well done vaughn you showed the pitfalls as well as the work arounds to get to the final outcome you were after.. that shows the whole picture and that your human and the rest of us can make mistakes and not feel bad about it...:thumb:
Vaughn! Something's wrong with the forum software!:eek:

Larry's and Norman's posts got switched!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Vaughn! Something's wrong with the forum software!:eek:

Larry's and Norman's posts got switched!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think the two of them are pulling a prank on us. Question is which one of them had the harder time impersonating the other's posting style? I am thinking Larry, because all Norman had to do was put on some gloves, or better still mittens.

I think the two of them are pulling a prank on us. Question is which one of them had the harder time impersonating the other's posting style? I am thinking Larry, because all Norman had to do was put on some gloves, or better still mittens.

:eek:We the only forum with a big puttytat named Hairy that wears mittens.:D:rofl::wave: & now he's brought in his cousins??? Man Ain't nothin safe when it comes to cats & meeses.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
Have been watching all the gate build,and enjoying it all. Lots of nice fitting parts and it still came out as Lunch for your two buddys. Like I always say, if you make a mistake its part of the plan. You made almost as many shavings as your spinning maching does. So thats gotta help. You did good Vaughn!:thumb:Looks like you knew just what you were doing every step of the way..... Great job. Can't think of a nicer gate any where.:D:thumb:

Ron

Gate

Great job Vaughn on the gate !!!!! I also noticed you're incra fence and side mount router on you're ridgid saw, just to let you know I kept my new ts 3660, not all the way together yet , ended up buying a used jointer 6" delta x5 it looked like it had only been used for a little while , runs great, blades are sharp cuts great. Also went hunting for some cherry as well. What finish are you going to put on your gate just curious, well great job , later db:wave:

Thanks, Doug. I'm sure you'll be happy with the TS3660. After waiting over a week for the weather to dry up a bit, I used Ultima Spray Lacquer (USL) fropm Target Finishes. It's a good waterborne lacquer that sprays very nicely and has full burn-in. so subsequent coats bond to the previous ones without sanding in between coats.

As an update on the gate, I've got the hinges mortised into the gate, and now I need to get off my lazy butt and get the "frame" installed in the hallway so I can mount the gate. It's just going to be two jambs attached to studs in the wall, but I'll have to mill the lumber to the right thickness to get everything to fit.