Forum Software Upgrade Coming Soon!

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Just wanted to put out a heads-up to all of you to let you know we will soon be upgrading the vBulletin forum software to a newer version. This new version has a number of new features and capabilities, as well as improved spam handling and security. Some of the changes will be very obvious to forum members, and others will be more "behind the scenes" stuff.

We don't know exactly when we will be doing the upgrade. We're going to try to do it this weekend, but it's going to depend on our personal schedules, and it will most likely be fairly late at night. We will post a warning shortly before we shut down the site for the upgrade. The site will be down for a little while during the upgrade, but we don't anticipate it being more than an hour or so. Also, things might look a little unfamiliar until we get some tweaking done after the installation. (For example, the "Woody" color scheme may not be available immediately.)

Although this new version of vBulletin offers a lot of additional features, we're going to be taking a measured approach to implementing them. We're not planning any sweeping changes to the forum features at this time.

Thanks for understanding, and don't panic if you notice the forum is down. ;) :wave:

OMG...:eek: Another forum I used to go to did that and the result was a total dissaray and loss of members and mass corn-fussion. :( Please don't change the format...

Bill, we're going to keep things as close to how they are now as we can. Like I said, the colors might change for a bit, but we're not making sweeping changes to anything.

will there be some form of instant messaging between members?
Initially, probably not. If it's supported by the new software, we might implement it as we get things ironed out, and if there seems to be sufficient member support for it. Like I said, we're going to be keeping the changes to a minimum at first, just to make sure we don't introduce new problems.

And Stu is right...we're going to version 3.8.1.

Just wanted to put out a heads-up to all

Also, things might look a little unfamiliar until we get some tweaking done after the installation. (For example, the "Woody" color scheme may not be available immediately.)

We're not planning any sweeping changes to the forum features at this time.

Thanks for the Heads Up on the changeover & downtime, and...... you can leave the "WOODY" theme off FOREVER and it won't bother me.:thumb: (I Hate that thing):rofl::rofl::rofl: