Now you see it, Now you Don't.

Chas Jones

__________Spent 5 minutes looking for the missile after it bounced off the top of the visor. :huh::dunno::rolleyes:

Thank God for PPE

Good thing you were wearing you visor. Must of been a nasty head ache.
Thank God you are ok.

Joe

Glad you didn't see it because it flew away and not into your eyes:thumb:.

I wonder if there is a way of knowing this before hand, something like tapping on the piece and hear the sound it makes in the same way we do it with clay pots:dunno:

Good thing you were wearing you visor.

Yes, even after a lifetime of enforcing the wearing of safety equipement it's good to have a reminder from time to time.

Didn't feel a thing personally other than the pressure of the bang, the disturbing thing was that I did not have any indication that it was about to let go up 'till that point.

Now you see it,now you don't

DANG Chas,sure gald that thing didn't do any damage to you other than your ego :thumb: hope you can keep it together this time. :)

We owe a big round of applause to the guy who first invented the face shield... probably has saved me more than one smack in the face.

Chas, good looking piece, can't wait for the finished product. Glad no harm, no foul.

Chas glad you had on the face shield. Once in a while the wood wins. I am like you I never go in the shop without my shield. I have been enforcing safety equipment at my work for 27 yrs.

Besides I would probably not hear the end of it from my workers if I got a knot on my head from not wearing my safety equipment.:rofl::rofl:

I love safety stuff...respirators and shields let us keep doing this stuff. Like Bernie, I'd really goofy if I went to work with a lung infection from breathing spalt mold. Glad your reminder was a healthy one :thumb:

...Spent 5 minutes looking for the missile after it bounced off the top of the visor. :huh::dunno::rolleyes:
Did you check the ceiling?

Glad to see it was no worse than it was. Must be the beech exacting revenge for all the damage you've done lately to its brethren. :p

good to hear you'e ok chas. my face sheild saved my nose twice now. the second time was almost a trick pool shot. the small (abt 2" dia, 4" long) bit of cherry i was turning decided to exit the lathe entirely, hit me in the face shield, went straight up, hit the ceiling, and after expending it's energy, and gravity being what it is, came down and gave me a love tap on the back of the head. after about a week, after realizing that it wasn't personal, i turned that blank down to shavings. with vengeance satisfied, and lesson learned (make sure spigot is slightly larger than minimum dia of jaws), i went on to other projects.

I too am glad that you are ok - thanks for submitting those pixs as we all sometimes need a reminder that things can happen and safety equipment is made to keep us turning!!!!!:wave:

Chas,
I'm glad to hear you are okay! If you listen closely sometimes you can anticipate the separation.

In the past I've heard tell-tale signs of an impending doom right before it happened. Once I've got the pieces round and started shaping them, I've usually heard the usual whoosh of smooth cutting interupted by a subtle but unusual tick-tick sound.

In one instance, I stopped the lathe, realized the problem, warned my buddy to get out of the area, fired the lathe back up slowly, and gently finshed her off (with me off to the side donning a faceshield). Sputnik separated in exactly the spot I thought it would. It went right through a heavy plastic shower curtain and kept going for another 75 feet.

You definitely don't want one of those separating chunks bouncing off of your face!

.....If you listen closely sometimes you can anticipate the separation.
In the past I've heard tell-tale signs of an impending doom right before it happened. ...

The lack of those symptoms is what caught me out this time Dick, I guess it had something to do with the thin bark layer dampening it out or it may just have been the general dampening of the spalted beech which in that piece is bordering on "too spongy" in places.

Last edited: