Lessons and tutoring for a beginer

You ask the hard questions Tod.;) I don't know what I want to make. I figured I would work with the lathe trying different things and find out what style I find more fun or interesting. I've looked at all the different things posted in the turning forum here and find an interest in each. I'm pretty much like you as far as being self taught but my first interests were with flat projects. With lumber so expensive here I figured I could save some money by turning local wood found at construction sites before they bury it. I'm looking for more input on the lathe because I'm a little intimidated by it. I don't want to get slapped in the head for doing something wrong.:eek:

fair enough royall,
if you notice the stuff "catching your eye" leans more toward platters/bowls and hollowforms then you`ll need one of the size L-XL lathes with good low speed torque.
no matter what you decide to turn you should plan on "tooling" costing 1-1/2 - 3X what you spend on the lathe:eek:......here`s the best part......after you`ve become proficient on the lathe you`ll probably find yourself reaching for only a few of the name brand pieces of metal stuck into the end of a stick:eek:
if you learn to sharpen without the aid of jigs-n-fixturers you`ll cuss for a while then it`ll become old hat.......if you use jigs-n-fixturers you`ll either want more tools so you can turn without sharpening or you`ll cuss every time you need to stop and jig up to sharpen...
stuff like pens/bottle stoppers and smaller spindle type work are the least expensive to get into...........but!.............you can turn small stuff on a big lathe and it`s impossible to turn big stuff on a small lathe.

Hey Royal,
Welcome to the vortex... wood turning is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.. :rofl:

With the proper incentive (a first class ticket for two to the big island, maybe a suite on the Kona coast.. nothing elaborate though) I would be willing to give you the benefit of all I know about wood turning... we could be done in 10 or 15 minutes and you could get started. :type::p:D

Seriously, go up on Google videos or Youtube and put in "wood turning" as a search topic.. you'll find a number of videos there to help you.. some are better than others, but all are instructive. Even our own Stu Ablett has a video up there... I'm self taught, and I'm sure I've taught myself a lot of mistakes, and I've corrected a few as I've watched some of the videos I've found on the web. I learned by just doing it and trying to keep track of what didn't work and what did.

Biggest and best advice I can give, be safe, be careful, wear every and all safety equipment, face shield, respirator or mask (respirator is better), protective clothing (I use a long sleeve smock for all turning since I've developed an allergy to some woods), etc.... And don't be afraid to screw up... even the best of the turners (of which I do NOT count myself) will have a piece that doesn't work now and then.

Last edited:
Hey Royal,
Welcome to the vortex... wood turning is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.. :rofl:

With the proper incentive (a first class ticket for two to the big island, maybe a suite on the Kona coast.. nothing elaborate though) I would be willing to give you the benefit of all I know about wood turning... we could be done in 10 or 15 minutes and you could get started. :type::p:D

Seriously, go up on Google videos or Youtube and put in "wood turning" as a search topic.. you'll find a number of videos there to help you.. some are better than others, but all are instructive. Even our own Stu Ablett has a video up there... I'm self taught, and I'm sure I've taught myself a lot of mistakes, and I've corrected a few as I've watched some of the videos I've found on the web. I learned by just doing it and trying to keep track of what didn't work and what did.

Biggest and best advice I can give, be safe, be careful, wear every and all safety equipment, face shield, respirator or mask (respirator is better), protective clothing (I use a long sleeve smock for all turning since I've developed an allergy to some woods), etc.... And don't be afraid to screw up... even the best of the turners (of which I do NOT count myself) will have a piece that doesn't work now and then.

I think I'll wait taking you up on that offer until I his the lotto. OH, wait... We don't have the lotto in Hawaii:eek::( We'll have to put that on the back burner for a while!:p:rofl:

Thanks for your generous offer though!;)

Cookies!!!!!

Royal,
I'm sorry I've been hard at work to make some fresh for you. Here you go enjoy.

cookies.jpg

Royall,

You'll have fun learning turning. It's a fascinating thing to see a piece of wood change before your eyes, and know that you have done it. Not quite the same with flat work. You can actually control the flow of a cut and change it mid-stroke, with beautiful results. :thumb:

Of course, you will make mistakes, have a piece or two go bad or fly apart. :rofl: That happens to all of us. I'm no expert, but I have turned a few good looking pieces. The Honolulu Wood Turners had a demo session at Woodcraft last year and I messed up two pieces before I got into my groove and had a couple successes. (I think having people watching me had a little to do with that.) :eek: I have to get some pictures resized to post here, or I know, it never happened. :dunno:

Wish I could get over there for a day to work with you. It would be fun to meet you in person and get to do some spinny stuff together. Who knows, maybe someday.

Enjoy the slide down the slope. And don't be afraid to ask anything you might need. I'm only a phone call away. :wave:

Aloha, Tony