Three new endgrain boards

Ned Bulken

The weather finally got above freezing this weekend, and i got to finish up three more endgrain boards.. Here they are in the 'raw':
trioraw.jpg

large board for the LOML
loriboardraw.jpg

and two for some friends, glued up as one blank, cut in two and then finished.

twins.jpg

I planed all od them to thickness, then rounded over with a 1/4" round over bit and sanded to 220 before oiling with two coats of mineral oil.

Here's my wife's cutting board:

lorisboardm.jpg

and my friends' boards:

twinsoiled.jpg

and all three together...

trio.jpg

Nice Ned :thumb: Really like the larger one. Boards are on my make for x-mas gifts next year and your design most likely be used for major reference :D

thats nice stuff, maybe one day youll show me how to do stuff like that...HEY, look how good the TS surface looks, no harm done.Im glad for you.
Thanks Allen,
It's a bit more complex than I originally thought, but in the end it can be summed up to the following steps:

1. select some hardwoods
  2. cut them to width
  3. glue them up so they'll fit through your planer (if you have one available) I used tightbond III this time around.
  4. when dry, plane them to thickness.
  5. Cut into strips
  6. flip up on end, glue them together along with two sacrificial boards in normal orientation. (I used 2x 4's)
  7. when dry, plane again, the sacrificial boards are so the end grain boards won't tear out (as much).
  8. once the boards are smooth, trim off the sacrificial boards and trim the board to square.
  9. round over all of the edges with the router.
  10. Sand through your grit of choice, I stop at 220, they're Users, not fine woodworking, and then oil. I use plain mineral oil. Two coats the first day, then I use the traditional 'once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month from then on.

Nice looking boards Ned.:thumb: Just gave into LOML and bough a set made of bamboo at Cost U Less yesterday.:rolleyes: Wish I had the hardwood on hand to try one of your designs.:D

One of these days Royall, one of these days!

whatis the red stuuf you have in ther ned? is that the lyptus again?sure comes out purty! ok we got the sacrificals onthe sides, do you do it on the ends as well?

Last edited:
Ned,

How thick did you make them? 1 1/2"? 2"?

Thanks,

Bill

The smaller ones are about 1 1/4" the large one is just under 2" thick.

Allen,
yep, pretty much any tight grain hardwood you have on hand. I've used oak before, but it has an open grain.

I'm no expert however, so check out the wood whisperer for more info.

Vaughn,
thanks again for the sacrifical block tip, it worked very well!