CNC ROUTING ??

Leo Voisine

I have not been round here much - except to pop in from time to time.

I think this is a nice place.

Nah don't go welcoming me again - ya already did that a couple of times. It's cause of my infrequency here.

I don't really consider CNC Routing "off topic" per se but maybe some do. I will admit that I will do some non-wood materials on it.

Does anybody else do CNC routing here?

Plastic?
Brass?
Aluminum?
oh yeah WOOD?
Signs?
CNC software?

Nah don't go welcoming me again - ya already did that a couple of times. It's cause of my infrequency here.

Well, geez, Leo, you show up, we all say Hi!, someone says "Hey, everybody, It's Leo!"

And then it's like you get buried under an avalanche, or something! ;)

Next Spring, after the thaw, there he is... ;)

If memory serves, there's at least one guy here who built his own CNC router... I'll let him chime in on his own.

Thanks,

Bill

Hey, everybody, it's Leo! ;) Whoops! ;)

Hi Leo! :wave: Welcome to the forum! :wave: Glad to have you here! :wave:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I know Darren Wright built his own CNC machine. He'll probably be along soon. :)

(Good to see you drop by, BTW.) ;)

I run one every day here at work. We have a MultiCam. We only do wood or acrylic on ours. We use either Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator the bring it into ArtCam software to output to the router.

I built my own using one of the "open source" designs on CNCZone (JGRO model). I use WinCNC for running it....I think?...will find out when I get the shop pc running again...bad power supply. I mostly use turbocad 2d for drawings, but do have BobCad for doing some opimization and 3d with. I've cut some aluminum with it, but was rather choppy work, may have been cutting a bit too fast.

I have a Larken 2424 Camtool

I also have Vectric V-carve pro 4.6, Cut 3D, and Photo Vcarve.

I am lucky enough to have Solidworks, and AutoCad.

So far I have mostly cut wood - several signs at this point.

I have made a few plastic laminate name plates.

The latest thing I am foing is custom branding irons

I have tons of ideas, and a tiny bit of time.

I admire the ability you guys have to build your own.
I would like to try that some day - I just don't think I am smart enough to do the electronics part.

I work with CNC metal cutting at work.

Anybody care to show some of your CNC work?

Attachments

• Front Side.JPG
    Front Side.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 34
Not after viewing yours. :eek: :rofl::rofl:

I'll put a couple up tonight, but don't have anything that nice. ;)

Nah - i don't care who does better.

I just like to talk about CNC routing.

If I can inspire - great - but I am definarely not into upstaging.

Trust me - I see lots of folks that do better than I do - it just inspires me.

I can sent this pattern to you free if you want to try it (no copyright infringements) - I'll even tell ya how to do it.

So - whatcha got?

I run one every day here at work. We have a MultiCam. We only do wood or acrylic on ours. We use either Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator the bring it into ArtCam software to output to the router.

what format do you need to get the illustrtor files to art cam? i got friend of my wife that has asmall lazer and they are required to use corel draw and she doesnt like it and if i could get illustrator to work for her i could help in that program. thanks for the help

weeellll, I've been thinking on a CNC build. At least I was until a friend of mine who has one offered it's use. It seems to do more gathering of dust in his trim factory than any real cutting. I have the programing manual now and should be getting over there soon to attempt to make some chips. My primary interest is to make custom pen boxes for my pen business. I wil gladly trade time for whatever work he throws at me. I have AutoCAD at home and expect I can use this. I may have to get V-carve pro to do the more complicated programs. How do you like that , by the way. AND quit lurking..........good that yer chiming in.:wave:

what format do you need to get the illustrtor files to art cam? i got friend of my wife that has asmall lazer and they are required to use corel draw and she doesnt like it and if i could get illustrator to work for her i could help in that program. thanks for the help

You can either export them as an eps. file or an ai. file. A dxf file works the best for Artcam.

Here is the last sign that I did a couple weeks ago. It was all done on the WaterJet. Aluminum letters with neon inside, the printed acrylic faces.

MellowWarnerRobinsCompletedpics013.jpg