My Street Organs

You are very welcome Allen and if anyone wants to build one of these I am here to help they are a great project for those of you that like working with a lot of small pieces and you don't need any specialized equipment just basic tools. But a good ruler in silly little millimeters :D

Jay

Wow! Be interested to hear what one of these guys sounds like.

I'd offer to help you learn to do an audio recording, but the way I do it requires multiple file exchanges back and forth between the Linux box and the Windows box, an arcane, convoluted process that I wouldn't inflict on a friend - not even Vaughn, and he uses VMS! :rofl:

Jay,
That is astounding! I can't believe I missed this thread. The time and skill that must go into one of these just amazes me. I'd really like to see more if possible.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Wes

That looks like very good workmanship. It must be a bonus that it also plays music.
What happened with the other units that you built?

What is the pitch of the lowest note?

Are the pipes open or stopped?

When I first looked at the photo, something seemed a bit strange. It finally dawned on me what it was. The pipes are upside down from the usual installation where the whistle part is at the bottom.

That looks like very good workmanship. It must be a bonus that it also plays music.
What happened with the other units that you built?

What is the pitch of the lowest note?

Are the pipes open or stopped?

When I first looked at the photo, something seemed a bit strange. It finally dawned on me what it was. The pipes are upside down from the usual installation where the whistle part is at the bottom.

Paul I had to ask a friend of mine and belive it or not my music knowledge is very limited this is his reply hope this answers you questions.
Jay

That pipe tunes in around 20" and plays the note F. Being a stopped pipe, it sounds twice the length.

Also note that the scale of the organ leaves out a lot of notes:

F A# C as bass
d d# e f g a a# as accompaniment
c d d# e f g a a# c d as melody

Last edited by a moderator: