Buffet-Mahogany and Sapele Ply-planning stages and first cuts

allen levine

I have a couple days of good weather, not much time in shop, but at 58 degrees, Im not passing up this great weather to get a head start.I jsut came up to pull splinters out of my hands.
Im not 100% certain this is something I can build, but I will do my best, take my time, and if anyone looks here, Ill post pics now and then.
I opted for ply sides and bottom, the rest will be solid mahogany.
Im pretty sure once assembled, I wont stand a chance at moving this.
I was going to build from the inside out, but after seeing my numbers, hoping they are correct, Id rather build the entire frame, mortise and tenons, dry fit it all, then work on the inside seperate cause Id rather trim 1/8 off a piece of plywood than have to change alot of rails and supports.
I will offer some cross supports between bottom rails since its going to be close to 6 feet long.
The bottom back rail will actually be underneath, unseen, but supporting the cabinet from the rear.
Im not a furniture designer, so I designed something I think Ill understand how to build.
The legs will be 1 and 3/4 by approx 2 and 1/4, enough to support the weight(solid mahogany, no glueup)

I had a few wild ideas for design, my wife didnt like any of them. I drew this one, she loved it. So thats it, a straight foward buffet/credenza.

My first step, since my mind is slipping, is choosing each piece for all parts,cutting to rough lengths for easier handling, and labeling them. Once I joint them, Ill mark that, as I have, then start ripping to rough size on TS,face joint plane, then recut on mitre and TS to actual sizes

Toughest thing Ive ever attempted.IM just hoping it looks something like the picture I drew, and the doors open somewhat straight.
Off I go, time to wake up the neighbors.

Attachments

• wood stuff 550 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 550 (Medium).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 95
  • wood stuff 551 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 551 (Medium).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 80
  • wood stuff 552 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 552 (Medium).jpg
    77 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I gotta boost from one of my kids.
I shot over the picture thru an email of what Im going to build, and the response I got on cell phone was "Dad! Get a grip! I know you can build things, but mommy wants a real piece of furniture! "

and so, its grand when a man in his mid fifties has children that inpsire confidence.
:huh:

Allen, I just want to say your energy impresses me. I feel embarrassed that I am not able to even match 50% of your effort. The other thing that I really admire is your fearlessness to tackle anything. As for your design, I think you have a very good eye. I like it.

I am sure that the others will agree, we are fortunate that we have you here participating in the forum, otherwise there would not be anywhere near the number of interesting posts to read. Please, for the rest of us slackers, keep up the good work.

Allen, I just want to say your energy impresses me. I feel embarrassed that I am not able to even match 50% of your effort. The other thing that I really admire is your fearlessness to tackle anything. As for your design, I think you have a very good eye. I like it.

I am sure that the others will agree, we are fortunate that we have you here participating in the forum, otherwise there would not be anywhere near the number of interesting posts to read. Please, for the rest of us slackers, keep up the good work.

a buddy:thumb::thumb: i am still at it bill but am hittun road blocks continually...will catch up later i hope.. go allen before she changes her mind.. and like billsaid your the main one doing anything now:thumb:

Im getting my moneys worth out of the dust collector.
I had to order some gates cause Im sick and tired of changing up the hoses.
I had to send you a pm larry, Im a bit confused on hooking up gates.

All the wood except for a couple of pieces are edged (one side) and face jointed, ready for planing.Back breaking work, alot more than I realized face jointing all those long pieces.

Attachments

• wood stuff 554 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 554 (Medium).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 62
  • wood stuff 556 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 556 (Medium).jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 53
oh no allen yu didnt:eek: askme for assitance i am not a DC know it all:D but i did tell ya what i do.. look at all the wood you lost.. when face jointing i dont think yu need to edge joint but you are already there. see the planer doesnt care if your edge is straight or not..also when face jointing rember you only have so much thickness to work with.. so look your boardsa over well and use any tricks you can to save from having to take ot much of while face jointing,,there was a article just the otherday in popular woodworking ot amercian woodworker about cuttin to size first then flattening to save the usable wood.. doin good bud and dont forget to keep after that guy so yu can get away to meet this spring!

not energy, I just hate being indoors during the day.(besides, I still have a ton of wood stacked in my garage, figured I might as well cut it up and build something. I need to make room for some cherry, I want to make a headboard and some matching in the wall shelves and cabinets in my attic bedroom)

larry, Im having zero luck so far, but I did secure the time for the woodworking show on March 29, just not 1000% sure if I want to do that drive. (im not that fond of driving these days with my back) But I think a few FWW members will be there, so it might be a hoot.

Last edited:
what a buzz kill today!

I overworked yesterday and was feeling it last night, gotta go back to work tomorrow and decided to rest up this morning, start planing today.

The planer is not agreeing with me at all.AT ALL!!!! NAda, nothing, not one piece is running throught smooth.
I tried turning them every which way, different speeds.
Im disgusted.
Running those 6 foot pieces 4 inches wide, the boards kept stopping, had to pull them through or at least help them through almost every time.
Need to take alot off, but I know to shave a little at a time,
This mahogany must be so tuff for the planer, cause I checked and everything looked fine.
It ran great when I did the covers a few weeks ago.

Im getting a bit of snipe, but most of al, its stopping, Im getting black rubber marks as if the rollers are turning but not being able to grab the wood.
I didnt have anywhere as much problems when I did all that mahogany back with the table.
Im lost here. I had to call it quits before I lost it and decided to throw the thing off a bridge(cant really lift it that high so its safe)

btw, once through, the wood is coming out as smooth as a babys skin, but getting it to run through.....ech.

Last edited:
knowing I wont be able to sleep until I figure this out, I went back in, the wife screaming at me the entire time.(lousy back, the pain starting down my leg already)
I lifted it all the way, the surface seems smooth, but Ill wax it anyway.
I took off the extension tables, both rear and front, seems that helped alot!
I fed another 6 foot piece, held it up in front and back, but it fed so much easier. Almost made each pass without assistance.
The front roller feels a bit dirty. How do I clean it?

allen i dont think you should run it without the outfeed tables in place,,they are there to support your stock and to help you avoid snipe,,your gonna get bit hard if try to run without them,,sounds like the tables may be set to high and therefore as the board comes out its gettin more pressure ,,but mine isnt like yours so i will let someone with your planer speak up,, i know tom has one like you allen and loves it.. possibly your blades are dull that will tax your machine too..

good point allen on smooth cuts,,drop tom or someone yu know with one aline i cant help ya but i dont think yu need to clean any roller..is it still pushun out the chips good?

I run mine with out infeed or outfeed tables, just lift a little when feeding and when coming out, rarely get snipe. Tables I am sure are a good thing I just don't have them. They only need to be raised a little (a dime thickness I recall hearing?). Mine did start doing the same thing Allen and my son flipped the blades around and cured the problem. I have never had to clean the rollers as of yet. The Blades are reversable Allen, switch them out and have another go at it :thumb:

I was out there again, ran through a couple of long and short boards.
Seems 90% better running without the flip up tables and leaving it on speed 1

I just support the long boards and keep them moving. The piece that kept getting stuck, a short 2 foot piece, got all sniped up, even that ran through smooth now.

I dont look foward to turning the blades around, but Ill give that a shot also, Ill have my son help me. If theres any little tips on putting or changing out the blades, Id appreciate the help.