Buffet-Mahogany and Sapele Ply-planning stages and first cuts

ya know Im embarrassed to tell ya that I just sat here to read some, and saw your post chris.
I spent an hour today trying to figure out a less bulky way to attach the fronts(so as nothing is inside cabinet) without trying to screw into the 1/2 inch outside I have overlapping fearing I would split the wood.
Your idea is so simple and direct and smart.
Im an idiot, and yes, Ive been using the pocket screws alot since I got the jig.....even ordered 500 quantity size (course and fine threaded)from McFeelys so I dont run out of screws. Im going to pry the glued up plywood off the back, I only put one on so far, so it shouldnt be much a problem, and use the pocket screws for sure.
Thanks for educating me. Wow, how I didnt see this I dont know, its the purpose of the pocket joinery.....thanks again.(youre idea or not, you applied it perfectly for me)

ANOTHER FWW SCORE FOR ME!!!!! :thumb:

Last edited:
I went out at 9:15 this morning, figuring Id get alot done today, with the big snow they are expecting tomorrow, I might not work much this week on it.
I was tripping over everything, I decided to clean up for an hour, or two, or four, or 7.............at least the place is organized and neat. Restacked alot of wood, Im ready for my next load, and I managed to cut up a load of scraps for disposal, clean out the mess and clutter(cut down 130 or so pen blanks out of alot of the strips laying around)

didnt touch the unit, but I dont think it was a wasted day, alot of organization and room making.(humg up all the shovels and things all the way up to the roof , cant waste any space)(just had the camera with me, so I took a few shots of neatness and order)

Attachments

• wood stuff 613 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 613 (Medium).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 25
  • wood stuff 614 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 614 (Medium).jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 21
  • wood stuff 615 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 615 (Medium).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 23
Looks real neat, Allen.:thumb: It wouldn't do ME any good to put everything in it's place though, 'cause then I wouldn't remember where it's place was.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I am sure envious of your fantastic luck at finding such a good wood supplier so close to you. That just Isn't possible in my part of West Texas.:(

PS: Allen, I forgot to tell you we hit 90* here (Friday IIRC) but Sat was 59* & windy & Sun was only a little over 60* and Breezy).:rolleyes: Had to wear a light jacket Sun afternoon when I took the LOML out to a friend's to get her "First" MIG welding and Plasma cutting Lesson. She's always been cold natured, but didn't shed any of the three layers she had on soon enough and got too hot and had to quit early. I didn't think it was really that warm though, I think she just hasn't completely recovered from those two rounds of the crud she had.:dunno:

Hope ya'll don't get too swamped with the snow again. We could sure use ANY kind of moisture here as we are officially in a drought again.

Last edited:
I have a 4 foot snow drift blocking my garage......Im too lazy to shovel it away, and my son is taking advantage of his day off from work. (Ill make him get out there by 1 or so, but I wont push him now, its still coming down heavy, I had almost 10 inches, so far, I stuck a ruler into the snow.
Heaviest Ive seen on LI near me for at least 5 years.

I contacted the wood guy. I will be picking up 200 bf of beautiful pine, he promised me, incredible stuff, and I saw restaurant tables he made out of it, another 100 board ft of 6/4 to 8/4 mahogany, hope he has that in his arsenal, and Id like to get my hands on any cherry and some maple, just to have around for when I want it.Ill shoot a pic or two on weds after I get it all.
Storage, Ive solved that problem.
I have 1400 sq feet of dry warm basement space available 45 minutes away from me, so I can leave whatever I want there till I need it. I have 24 hour access to it.

baby steps

This post will hold little value for all the pros and long time woodworkers here.

For all the novices, like myself, and the people who are puttering around with new tools:
Tonight, after work, I decided to address the last main problem of my cabinet.
The top rail, I had to recut and tooka piece off the wrong pile, cut the tenons, glued it all up, and realized the piece w as around 1/16th thicker than the face frame. Not a major problem, but I wanted the doors to sit as perfect as I could get.
I layed the cabinet on its back, and took out my hand plane. My only hand plane. I figured any damage I did I could take out the orbital and sand from now till next week to repair.
I glided that baby right across the top rail, shaved off what needed to shave off, and for a few seconds, I felt like a real craftsman. I was planing a face frame by hand. I would guess its a comparable feeling of acomplishment as when a baby takes his first steps and realizes he is not holding on to anything.
I know this doesnt hold value to guys who do it every day, but I never thought there would come a day when I would do it, or even have any need to do it.
It actually brought me joy, as nuts as this sounds, I was ecstatic. Wish I left 1/8 to shave off. My arms are sore, but my spirits are high.

For those that never hand planed, go out and buy a plane, its a grand experience. Sorry if I got a little nutso over this, it was quite an experience for me.
Finished off the door frames, cut the top down to size the other day, so after a few more cuts Ill be doing the final test fit assembly before final sanding and small touch up repairs.
Man that was fun(dont laugh at me)

I cut down an exact duplicate of the door stiles so I can attach a set of hinges to one stile and pre drill all the holes in the frame, easier than trying to align the door and hold it.(wood magazine tip)

btw, at work today I added up what it took to make this. Not cheap. Approx 45-50 bf of mahogany at 5 bucks a board foot.
1.5 sheets of 3/4 sapele ply, and one sheet 1/4 sapele ply, at 139 and 80 a sheet. Knobs, handles and hinges ran me around 75 dollars, tack on one medium titebondII, at 6 bucks, around 650 total give or take a few bucks with varous taxes

I was a bit hesitant to do the entire unit out of solid wood, figuring Id mess up something and wood movement would present a problem sooner or later, and I thought weight would be an issue, but the plywood is not much lighter.

Attachments

• wood stuff 632 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 632 (Medium).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 25
  • wood stuff 633 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 633 (Medium).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I think if Allen's wife had gone out to the shop with a camera she might have caught Allen sitting cross legged in the shop with his thumbs and middle fingers together humming and chanting... you know... then Zen of woodworking!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Really Allen, I know where you're coming from. Whether from working a hand plane or making that fist through mortise and tenon joint and it fits is a wonderful feeling.:thumb:

But I still had to fun ya!:D

I don't know Allen, but it sounds like last nights experience might be worth the money spent! To look at it a different way, you couldn't buy your piece for any amount of money.

Wes

I don't know Allen, but it sounds like last nights experience might be worth the money spent! To look at it a different way, you couldn't buy your piece for any amount of money.

Wes

allen wes is right but he mispelled a word,,yup me sayun someone mispelled a word,, but the word is piece,,it could have been "peace". now you know how i felt when i made the top rail for my project..its a feeling that you only know if you go there.. lookin good allen..and yu had better tell that guy that he has to let you free in april:)

Allen, I know the feeling, I use hand tools when I can, or when they are the best solution. I'm no slave to hand tools, but then again, I'm also no slave to power tools either. It is really cool to learn how to do things with hand tools, if you have the time and the patience you can learn to use them well.

On my list of things to buy, high up are a few more planes, I don't have a decent block plane, only a really cheap one, that I've tuned up, so that will be my next purchase in the hand tool market.

Looking good on this one!