Favorite Movie?

Wes, I think you mean Burt Munro or maybe Brian "Fitzcarraldo" Fitzgerald.

But speaking of the Amazon and Fitzcarraldo, did you see/like Fitzcarraldo ? (Werner Herzog)

Brian "Fitzcarraldo" Fitzgerald, a European living in a small city in Peru in the early part of the 20th century, has a great love of opera and an indomitable spirit. He is a great fan of the famous tenor Enrico Caruso and he dreams of building an opera house in his city of Iquitos. This will require a lot of money, and the most profitable industry in Peru at the time is rubber. The areas known to contain rubber trees have been parceled up by the Peruvian government and can be leased for exploitation.

Fitzcarraldo investigates getting into the rubber business. He is shown a map by a helpful rubber baron, who points out the only remaining unclaimed parcel in the area. He explains why no one has yet claimed the parcel: while it straddles the Ucayali River, the parcel is cut off from the Amazon by a treacherous set of rapids. However, Fitzcarraldo notices that the Pachitea River, another Amazon tributary, comes within several hundred meters to the Ucayali upstream of the parcel.

To make his dream a reality, he leases the inaccessible parcel from the government. With the selfless underwriting of his paramour and brothel owner, Molly (Claudia Cardinale), he buys a steamer (which he christens the Molly Aida) from the same rubber baron, raises a crew and sets off up the Pachitea, the parallel river. This river is known to be more dangerous the further one gets from the Amazon because of the unfriendly tribes that inhabit the area. Fitzcarraldo's plan is to reach the point where the two rivers nearly meet and then, with the manpower of enlisted natives, physically pull his three-story, 320-ton steamer over the muddy 40° hillside across an isthmus, from one river to the next. Using the steamer, he will then collect rubber on the upper Ucayali and bring it down the Pachitea to market.

Frank,
There was supposed to be a period between Burt and Fitzcarraldo.:eek:

Yep, I did see Fitzcarraldo. I think the making of the movie was as difficult as his original dream!

Wes

Westley you want me to choose only 5.

Hey man John Wayne made more than that.
Then there is all the other westerns.
And what about my Avatar .....Centennial I think that has to be tops that makes up for something 15 movies in one.
Kellys heros but that starts a whole range of movies with Clint Eastwood.

I think this would be easier with a poll with a list of names and we pick them off.

Sorry but my memory is on the blink. Far too many to pick 5. Very few modern ones though apart from some of the animation movies. I love animation.

LOML and I may go see a movie about once every 2 years. We will go see the new Star Trek movie in May.
Bourne Identity was a really good movie. The first three Star Wars were good. Best Sci-Fi movies, Star Trek-Wrath of Kahn. Then Outland with Sean Connery.
One movie I would watch the most would be Top Gun, and I'm not really a Tom Cruise fan, but I do like watching the jets fly.
There is another movie I've seen on TV a few times but I don't know the name of it. A US aircraft carrier goes through a time warp and ends up in the Pacific just before Pearl Harbor gets hit. They track the Japanese fleet and even take on some of the planes. Wish I could remember the name.
Jim.

There is another movie I've seen on TV a few times but I don't know the name of it. A US aircraft carrier goes through a time warp and ends up in the Pacific just before Pearl Harbor gets hit. They track the Japanese fleet and even take on some of the planes. Wish I could remember the name.
Jim.

Jim, that movie is The Final Countdown, (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080736/) released in 1980. Hubby was on the Nimitz when the movie was being made in 1978/79, and he says (though I've never seen it) that he can be seen in one of the scenes (about 1/2 of a nanosecond's worth--he says). It starred Kirk Douglas, Martin Sheen, and James Farentino, along with others. David said it was interesting having the movie being filmed on the ship, as this was before women were being stationed aboard Navy ships, and having Katharine Ross on the ship was a real treat for some of the guys.

He also said that Kirk Douglas was wonderful to the crew, and that Martin Sheen wasn't!!