Family member visit to Jay Caughron

Frank Fusco

This forum has some amazing people as members and some of those have even more amazing skills at woodworking. Jay fits both categories. Jay lives in Republic, Missouri. We visited our son and his family in nearby Nixa, MO. I had some time so took the tin mule to previously e-only-friend Jay Caughron at his home and shop. Never again will I complain about the size of my shop. Jay's has about half the space, qualifies as a state-side dungeon. Except for not having to drop in from a hatch in the roof, Stu no longer has exclusivtivity on dungeon shop status.
Jay has good tools including a really neat old Powermatic lathe. And from that little shop he turns out some excellent work.
As expected we tried to out talk each other and covered most of lifes woes and a lot of woodworking stuff.
But, I had a real 'shut my mouth' and/or 'blow me down' experience when he showed me his wood organs. Or, hurdy-gurdy organs as I recall from my childhood days. Or as some know them, organ grinders. Whatever, they are a throwback.
Moreso, they are incredibly complex with many hundreds of small parts and many of those wood moving parts. My mind was blown seeing these organs. Each one is a noteworthy accomplishment.
Did I say "mind blowing"?
Not often an old codger feels a sense of pure, uplifting fun just by seeing, and in this case, also hearing, an object. I did. Need a smile? Listen to Jay play his organ for a few minutes and if ye ain't smilin' yer ded.
We had a fine visit. And it won't be the last, he's a nice guy and we are now real in-person friends, no doubt. We have some plans that involve his organs, my camera and my typing machine. Should be real fun.
And to prove I wuz really there, see pic below.

Attachments

• Jay and music box.jpg
    Jay and music box.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 61
well frank yu might be the first to visit him, but you wont be the last he's on the tour list this year already got the particulars for it and have chatted with him on many occasions, i got the same feeling your expressing..glad yu had a good time and i am sure yull be back:thumb::D

Very cool, guys. It's not likely I'll be in Missouri in the foreseeable future, but I'm anxiously awaiting a chance to see a video of Jay's wood organs on YouTube. ;)

And to prove I wuz really there, see pic below.

That visit sounds really neat and I'm glad ya'll had a lot of fun. There IS something wrong with that picture though,......... ALL self respectin' Organ Grinders is supposed ta have a Monkey with a Tin Cup, an ah don see wun.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That visit sounds really neat and I'm glad ya'll had a lot of fun. There IS something wrong with that picture though,......... ALL self respectin' Organ Grinders is supposed ta have a Monkey with a Tin Cup, an ah don see wun.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I didn't post a picture of me sitting on the organ holding a tin cup.
Actually, he is working on it. But the prize show boxers (dogs) he and his wife raise keep eating the monkeys.