How to lock chuck onto arbor?

I just got a dowel chuck from Craft Supply and it came with the #2 Morse taper arbor. I stuck them together, banged it on the bench top and started turning a bottle stopper. When it came time to back off the tailstock, the chuck decided to come off the arbor. Is there some way to lock it on? I cleaned it with lacquer thinner and banged it together again, but it continues to come loose. Is there something I should know?

You could try freezing the taper for a day and see if it seats deeper. I also read that you could rub chalk on the interface and tap with a dead blow. You aren't alone, someone on a different forum was having the same trouble with a drill chuck.

Make sure the two mating surfaces are clean and smooth, then spit on the arbor and put the chuck on it, bang it home and leave it. After a day or two, the spit will have dried, and you will have to work to get the two apart :D

Tod Evans suggested this to me and others, and boy has it worked well, I know it sounds a bit out there, but the spit is slightly acidic and the bit of rust formed from the spit will hold the two in place for a LONG time :wave: :thumb:

Most of the chuck mounting tapers are designed on the assumption that there will always be a closing force applied in-line with the spindle I.E. Pillar(bench)drill. to combat any loosening forces attributable to vibration etc.

If the Morse taper shank is always intended to be used with that particular chuck then one of the locktite bearing or thread sealants can be applied to the chuck taper before assembly, if desperate to part in future they can usually be released with heat.

Morse tapers themselves used in a lathe headstock, or a pillar drill for that matter should always be fitted with a draw-bar to prevent them parting if used for operations that to not apply a closing force. I.E. Polishing mops.

Thanks for the suggestions. The spit technique really doesn't surprise me much. Years ago I was trying to get two pieces to hold together (I don't remember what it was now) and an old-school welder told me to dip one in vinegar, put 'em together, and they'd never come apart! :D

All I did was clean with lacquer thinner again and then whacked the chuck onto the arbor with a deadblow hammer and it seems to have stuck. I turned 4 bottle stoppers without incident last night. Thanks for your input.
Jerry