sliding cabinet doors

Chris Mire

anyone ever install sliding cab doors, like on many of the popular media consoles today. where you have 2 doors, both on tracks and one slides behind the other. also seen these on some buffets.

if so, did you use hardware for this application or did you make your own guide system?

i'd like to put this kind of door on my media console i am presently designing but before I commit to them I wanna know what kind of experiences other have had with them. i see rockler has two different options for hardware you can puchase, one much more expensive than the other. here is a link

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10878

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2280

any help or advice is appreciated

thanks
chris

I always made my own with a router. I even made one where I cut the bottom grooves a little deeper and placed a strip of HDPE in the bottom tracks to improve the sliding quality because the doors were heavier than normal, and it worked well. Rout the grooves for the top of the doors deeper so you can insert the door into that slot first, and then drop it into the bottom slot. If you want to make it where the door can't be removed, then slide each door to one end and insert a filler strip (that is the thickness of the additional groove depth) in the top grooves and then slide them to the other end and do the same to that half. If you want it permanent, glue them in, but otherwise fasten them with a small brass or steel screw in a couple of places so they can be removed in case you want to take the doors out.

thanks robert, good links there

ken, i will have to search for that, frank still hangs around, he is just at pellow's camp pretty often, no internet out there.

norman, those are good ideas, good info. thanks alot

thanks tod, any info on how you made them.....nice headboard

thanks tod, any info on how you made them.....

just cut `em on the saw chris:eek:.....wooden tracks too.
make the top track and tongue 1/4"-3/8" deeper than the lower.
you need to remember to allow for the added tongue length when you assemble the doors or your rails will look odd.