Thread: Dado sled ?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Question Dado sled ?

Since most dados are cross cut, I have been thinking about building a dado sled, seperate from my crosscut sled. Have any of you built a dado sled?
    Last edited by Don Baer; 12-31-2006 at 03:23 AM.
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Mine is a carbon copy of my crosscut sled. Just a wider cut in the base. I suppose that if you had a replaceable insert that you could use the same sled for both. I just found it easier to build a second one.

I wouldn't see why you couldn't build one the same as you regular sled. Just a wider slot in it.

I just use the miter gage with a aux. fence attached to it. Haven't sprung for a set of dado's for the DeWalt yet. 1" arbor on it.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    I wouldn't see why you couldn't build one the same as you regular sled. Just a wider slot in it.

I just use the miter gage with a aux. fence attached to it. Haven't sprung for a set of dado's for the DeWalt yet. 1" arbor on it.
    I have a V27 miter gage and no matter how tight I adjust it there is always just a small amount of slop in it. My sleds have zero slop and are smother to use as well as always being very accurate. Also they can handle wider stock easily. Once you get the miter gage fence off of the back of the table it is very hard for me to use. I have to hold it up and try to keep it square, not impossible but sure not as nice as the sled. You can also clamp with downward pressure if you need to on longer wood and it is easier to handle very small pieces. For me it was overwhelmingly worth the small amount of effort, time and spare materials to build it.

I said that my dado sled was a "carbon copy of my crosscut sled". Acutually that is not true. The basic sled is the same but I have it set up with an adjustable, replaceable aux fence (inside of the standard back fence) for doing box joints.

Last edited by Allen Bookout; 12-31-2006 at 01:56 PM.

That's a very slick solution, Allen. If I didn't already have the Incra set-up, I'd be looking at building me one of those.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Thanks Allen,
    I was going to redo my box joint sled and build a seperate Dado sled. Now with you guidence I can do both at once.
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Great sled Allen. I think I'm going to steal that idea from you too.

Glad that I have something of use to someone.

I am also glad that it seems that Jesse has dug himself out of the snow.