My first project of 2007

Jim O'Dell

Ok, I'm doing good on the project I started Wed. evening...cutting the door from the entry/foyer to the hall for LOML's studio entrance. After dealing with the flooding of my shop last night (really was not too bad. It's nice and dry in there today!!) I watched The Stars hockey game and ate supper. After I rested a while, I finished cutting the sheetrock out for the opening. After working 'til 1:00 today, getting supplies at HD on the way home (first of 3 trips:rolleyes:) I cut the 2 studs out without taking out any sheetrock above the door opening!!!!!:thumb: (No one was more suprised than my wife!:D) Built the header, cut the jack studs and screwed them all in place. Then trimmed the opening, and installed the moulding. I've spackled the nail holes so it will dry overnight. Then I'll sand and paint. I bought a 1 X 6 piece of red oak to use as a threshold since there is oak parquet flooring in the entry, and linoleum in the hall way. I'll bevel the piece so it is a smooth transition, then put several coats of poly on it. I'll back cut where it meets the parquet and linoleum floors so it fits snug. Hopefully I can get the fit in the opening nice and tight so all I'll need is a little silicone under it to hold it in place. I wanted to take the wall paper out and redo the whole thing, but LOML said "NO"...that is an exact quote. :D She didn't want to drag it out over the weekend, and it would have if I had tried.
Two pictures attached, the first one is from the entry way, the second is from the kitchen/family room showing the hallway.
Have a safe New Year's Eve and a great New year! Jim.

Attachments

• DSCN1343.jpg
    DSCN1343.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN1344.jpg
    DSCN1344.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 46
Jeff, I have to build the threshold, then get several coats of poly on it. I'm hoping with the temps today that I can get one coat all around today, and 2 more coats on the top tomorrow and get it installed. Oops, I wanted to paint after I installed it....Hmmmmm. We'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll only get 2 coats on the exposed parts. I'd paint before installing, but I want it to be a real tight fit to help hold it down so I don't have to use mechanical fasteners, and only use a few dabs of silicone under it. And I know if I acheive that tight fit :)rofl:) I'd scrape the fresh paint right off installing it. So we'll see.... Have a good day everyone! And thanks for the comments. Jim.