Welcome to Ohji

Thanks, everyone.

Art,

My "car" will have a 660cc engine and have to be only about 5'6" tall to fit in the Cave.

Toni, I'm always learning Japanese...just never any formal lessons.

Rennie,

Japanese houses have step up rooms, step down into bathrooms. It's a pain. Through the door is the dining/family room. Another door is to the left of the door that you see and opens up into the kitchen. When I build my house, it will not have such a crazy floor plan.

Greg,

Congrats on starting to get settled in! ;)

I look at all those boxes, and just want to faint. Last move, it took me three years to get all the boxes undone... I swear, I think I moved at least a few of them a dozen times, from one room to another...

Thanks,

Bill

Greg,

Congratulations on the successful move. I simply can't imagine the complexities involved with of moving over seas. Looking at all the boxes, I hope for your sake that you've got curbside cardboard recycling. ;)

Forgive my lack of understanding of the geography of Japan but how close are you to Stu?

Greg, it is good to see you start the settling in process. As you say, another month or so and life will have a more regular rhythm to it.

Seems to me that you have the makings of a fine shop. The garage area for the power tool workshop

IMG_3196.jpg

and the bedroom with the best view for the hand tool workshop.

IMG_3186.jpg

Now if you can just convince the wife how much sense this makes.:)

All is well here in Washington, but we are still in the grip of winter. Not enough snow pack here but maybe we will get a late spring snow fall to make up for it.

Looking forward to more pictures and descriptions of your new home and the surrounding town. I know I appreciate anything you, Alex and Stu can post about how life is different than in the USA and Canada. I find it fascinating. I will have to travel to Japan some day.

Good to have you back online Greg! Boxes...... It's been almost 4 years and still there is stuff in boxes. I look in them and think "oh, that's where it is!" and then forget when I need it:doh::eek: Is it allowed to add more electrical outlets in the cave?? Do you have to park the car in the shop??

Last edited:
Greg,

Good luck getting settled. Some of the logistics you are running into are so foreign to me. (no pun intended)

Are the white lines on the road no parking areas? What are you going to do with your car while you are using the shop?

Wes

Greg,

Congrats on starting to get settled in! ;)

I look at all those boxes, and just want to faint. Last move, it took me three years to get all the boxes undone... I swear, I think I moved at least a few of them a dozen times, from one room to another...

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, This is our 7th time across the pond, and we always end up with more boxes each time...no matter how much we sell/give away/toss just before the move. Our longest time hauling around an unopened box was 11 years. :eek:

Greg,

Congratulations on the successful move. I simply can't imagine the complexities involved with of moving over seas. Looking at all the boxes, I hope for your sake that you've got curbside cardboard recycling. ;)

Forgive my lack of understanding of the geography of Japan but how close are you to Stu?

Thanks, Peter. I'm probably 250 ~ 300 miles away from Stu.

Considering that I'm 6'3".... :eek: well good thing it's your shop and not mine!
I'm going to have to do something with my Steel City floor drill press... It also limits my choice in small vans, as most are right at the Cave's ceiling height, or more. :doh: With a "poured" concrete ceiling, it does have it's bumps and valleys, so I am looking for something at least 1/2 ~ 3/4" less than the lowest ceiling point I can find.

Greg, it is good to see you start the settling in process. As you say, another month or so and life will have a more regular rhythm to it.

Seems to me that you have the makings of a fine shop. The garage area for the power tool workshop and the bedroom with the best view for the hand tool workshop. Now if you can just convince the wife how much sense this makes.:)

All is well here in Washington, but we are still in the grip of winter. Not enough snow pack here but maybe we will get a late spring snow fall to make up for it.

Looking forward to more pictures and descriptions of your new home and the surrounding town. I know I appreciate anything you, Alex and Stu can post about how life is different than in the USA and Canada. I find it fascinating. I will have to travel to Japan some day.

Thanks, Bill. I might have to move the "hand tool" shop to the small storage room...with a small frosted glass window.:doh: :dunno: I do have the Festool vacuum to keep the bay window room clean, though...:huh: :rolleyes:

I certainly don't miss the snow...sure messed up the last few weeks of my move prep. It was warm here today...Stu got a "heat wave" a day or two ago. I'll be posting pics of "a day in the life", if you will. I ride a bus, then train, then walk to work. Interesting, and some quite different things than what you might find in the States.

good luck on the unpacking, and settling in.

Thanks, allen. One box at a time. :doh:

Good to have you back online Greg! Boxes...... It's been almost 4 years and still there is stuff in boxes. I look in them and think "oh, that's where it is!" and then forget when I need it:doh::eek: Is it allowed to add more electrical outlets in the cave?? Do you have to park the car in the shop??

Royall, thanks. I have to check the packing "manual" to find things we need right now, then will unpack other stuff as we can. Finding some damage, so we need to get it all unpacked as soon as reasonably possible. :bang:

Will have a couple of extra sockets using an extension cord from the light for small tools, and bring in heavy cords and sockets for the big tools. Nothing permanent, as our lease is for only 2 years right now.

OUCH

Who is gonna unpack all those boxes as you are getting the shop set up?
Is there electric in the cave? I didn't see a whole lot of outlets. Where are you gonna put the car?

Leo,

Extension cords for electricity, and the car we will get will be a small van type with a 660cc engine. Should give me about 40 of the Cave space for tools with the car inside. I can park the car nearby when I need to do some work.

Well... that I didn't know, so Greg please disregard. Onegaishimazu
Not a problem, Toni.

Greg,

Good luck getting settled. Some of the logistics you are running into are so foreign to me. (no pun intended)

Are the white lines on the road no parking areas? What are you going to do with your car while you are using the shop?

Wes

Wes,

The lines define the edge of the main roadway. On one side is a drop off into a shallow drainage ditch and the other side is the "sidewalk". There are some places nearby to park the car.

hi greg.......glad ya`ll made it!

Thanks, tod.