What is your favorite source for pen kits?

Ned Bulken

OK folks,
with the warmer weather and a couple of deals I've lucked into, I've got a bunch of blanks but only a couple of kits. What is your favorite source for pen kits... I've only used woodcraft or Rockler so far, but I'd like to buy some more kits from a decent source.

I know of a few good ones, Arizona Silhouete, Berea, and CSUSA, any others I should know about?

I've bought most of mine from Arizona Silhouette. I wasn't happy with the service I got from Berea, but I know a lot of folks who've had good experiences. I do like the Berea kits, and Arizona Silhouette sells them.

No personal experience, but I've read that http://woodturningz.com has PSI products for a better price than PSI. I've turned a few PSI kits and been happy with them.

I think most of the major kit manufacturers make decent products, but IMHO it's worth the extra expense to buy good plating. The entry-level gold kits don't hold up as well as the other more expensive ones do.

Bear Tooth Woods, Wood-n-whimseys are two more that come to mind. Rockler and Woodcraft are Berea resellers. The gold ones are low end unless marked titanium gold. I have best luck with chrome and black titanium. If I am in a hurry I go to Rockler since they are closer than Woodcraft. Another thing you can do is use a Streamline kit and modify the heck out of it. Drop the centerband, eliminate the center altogether, closed end purse pen.

Dale,
thanks! I recently ordered from wood n whimsies, and was very pleased with his service, it was filled within an hour and I received it in less than 3 business days!

the colored blanks are from wood n whimsies, the others from an IAP member who offred a small flat rate box: Mixed unlabeled blanks :
attachment.php

a random mix of Cumaru, Ipe, Birdseye Maple, Jatoba, Bubinga, Santos mahogany and others. I got 22 'exotic' blanks for .45c ea including shipping!

attachment.php

I picked up two copper slimlines from wood n whimsies... looking forward to putting them into a pen or two.

Attachments

• blanks a.jpg
    blanks a.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 70
  • blanks m.jpg
    blanks m.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I agree with the responses. I have dealt with Ryan at Woodturningz & can honestly say he can get you anything that is in the PSI catalog cheaper & I have never been disappointed. He threw in a few blanks of wood cause it took 1 day longer then it should have. (it took 4 days instead of 2 or 3)

90% of mine come from Craft Supply USA (Woodturners Catalog). I'll buy an occasional speciality kit from others but not often. I limit the models I make and keep a small inventory.
Can't remember the last time I actually bought a wood blank. Even exotics come to me with trades and such.

Frank,
I figure I've got a Ton of blanks now, so from here on out I probably won't buy many more. The flat rate box was cheaper than the last swap I was in, and I got more blanks out of the deal. I do need to order some more kits, however. The IAP forums have me itching to turn some pens!

Last edited:
Far as quality of kits go I prefer the Craft supply kits. But I have also done business with Woodturningz and they have great service. Bear Tooth Woods has a great website and the Berea kits which are great as well and Arizona Silhouette also has a good reputation with the Berea Kits and other unique items.

Good Luck

Alan