How did THAT happen!? (broke CMS fence)

Art Mulder

Today I was going to use my CMS to make a 45-degree cut. But the board didn't seem to sit right, so I took a closer look. Look at that gap!

cms-broke1-fencegap.jpg

But if I slid the board to the right, it tightened up
cms-broke2-fencenogap.jpg

And a glance at the left side of the CMS (after removing the aux fence) revealed this
cms-broke3-crack.jpg

A closer look
cms-broke4-crack-closeup.jpg

Ouch. Well. How the heck did that happen!? And how long ago did it happen!? (Yes, those are just rhetorical questions.) I don't actually use the CMS that much. I've only had one for a bit over a year, so I'm very used to doing my crosscuts on the TS using a crosscut sled.

I've never fiddled with the screws holding on the fence, so I surely didn't overtighten it. Nor have I dropped the tool - it's more-or-less permanently installed in a flip-top tool stand. I did take it out last February (2007) when I brought it upstairs when installing our hardwood floor.

What to do about it is another good question. Any suggestions?

Art
I had something similar happen on a Dewalt only mine just bent. After replacing it 3 time I took the saw back. What caused it was say you cut a 2x4 or something that has a slight bow to it or the fence is already bent and you cut it you can hear it bang back against the fence sometimes with pretty loud pop thats when it happens ether it bends or brakes. :huh:

Jay

Ouch. Well. How the heck did that happen!?

Art,

It's inexplicable. A modern mystery. Whenever something like that happens to me, and I can exclude all rational possibilities, I find myself left with one inescapable question:

Do I have teenagers in the house? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

That said, I've found dewalt to be pretty good when I order parts from them. I got my 708 for less than half price because it was a floor model, and missing all sorts of things. Spent about 40 bucks, and had it up and running a week later...

Anyway, best not to look too closely into how it happened. If I couldn't blame teenagers, I'd have to blame one of Doorlink's boyfriends. And if I pressed Doorlink about it, she'd just blame Heather. Instead of sorting the whole sordid mess out, I've found it's quicker to just look up the exploded parts diagram, and order what I need.... ;)

saves a lot of trouble and strife, too ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
art,
i`ve broken fences on my saws when boards pinch and the blade gets bound up.....
i just make a new one out of a block of aluminum or piece of angle.