I Shrank The bench

Reg Mitchell

Hi guys. Most of you recall the work bench ZI built a year or so ago
shoppics013.jpg

Well Vicky wanted to take it home to make biscits on :dunno: and said it was to nice to do woodworking on.
Well I needed a project to start setting up and fine tuning my machines. So I decided to give her her won bench for the kitchen. :thumb:
She got it a little late for Christmas but sh likes it just the same
shoptable019.jpg

shoptable017.jpg

shoptable018.jpg

shoptable020.jpg

I will put danish oil on it tomorrow and finish the top in a butcher top oil
Reg

Last edited by a moderator:
Whew! Showed my wife and she did NOT ask for one for herself...:clap:

Great looking bench, Reg. Is it 60" long? I see walnut, but what is the other wood? On the first bench it looks too red to be maple. Is it Beech?

Reg,
Awesome benches, both of them are simply elegant I don't know if I should show the LOML this bench or not. On the one hand, it is inspiring, I almost want to go get my shop back in action just/B]to make one similar to that for my shop. On the other hand, If she sees it, she might just want one for our kitchen, we've been discussing a new kitchen island, and that benchtop is gorgeous! Way to go!

Ned

I guess everyone really does need a workbench! Very nice work. Is the wood maple and walnut? I look forward to seeing it with the finish applied.

LOL...saved you a little work Art. No it is white oak. Didn't have a sorce of maple at the time Art.
Jessie I'm with you...although those home made biscuits do taste mighty nice on a cold day with butter and honey or maybe some applebutter.....
I just thought she needed a bench for cooking. :thumb:
Art its only 50" long and 23" wide
Reg

I showed this one to LOML and said it was too bad she didn't have room for one like it in the kitchen. She said it was a great work surface, and then paused. She then wondered if there wouldn't be room if it were 18" shorter and on casters. Yet another project on the to do list. She liked the pan sliding under the table.

Thanks guys and heres the table with waco butcher block oil on the top and danish oil on the bottom
shoptable023.jpg

shoptable025.jpg

shoptable022.jpg

It should be in the kitchen in the morning...I have a baby crib to do for my next project and hope to start it tomorrow evening
Reg

Very nice bench. I like the slide out bin. That would come in handy during summer when preping fruits and veggies from the garden.Congrats on a job well done.

Wow Reg, you really nailed it. The forum CoC doesn't allow me to say what I'm really wanting to say...it's a bad word, used in a good way. ;) :thumb:

Those are incredible, Reg.
You're workbench is exactly what I wanted to build myself. After I priced out the timber, reality kicked in and and I settled for something for considerably less. And it was a good thing. My woodworking skills aren't quite up to making a piece as beautiful as what you have produced.

Can you share your procedure for flattening the bench tops?

Once again, beautiful work.

That's a real nice work surface. Now you can practice your hand cut dovetails in the kitchen (working of course with a knife and the vegatable of your choice). I don't know what you'd use for layout lines.......

Great Project!