Walnut Writing Desk

once again you made a great chapter alex:thumb: now you mentioned that you normally cut the pins before the tails and in this case you didnt why was that?
Larry-
I wouldn't know how to lay out the pins first, I can't even picture how it would be done;if anyone knows another way to do angle dovetails I would be interested in knowing that--- I have a extensive woodworking library and I can only think of one book ,an old book published 1923 that shows how to lay out angle dovetails --
alex

Sawing the tails-I keep a piece of sticky 80 grit sand paper on the front of my bench to sharpen a pencil like shown, so I can darken the lines that were laid out with marking knifes so I can see them better
IMG_8328.jpg

IMG_8332.jpg

IMG_8335.jpg

I start the cut at the back side of the end -not much just a couple of short pulls
then I bring the saw down at the angle of the line I'm cutting,this first cut is not deep,less than 1/16"then cut down the line-
IMG_8320.jpg

IMG_8321.jpg

IMG_8322.jpg

IMG_8304.jpg

I use a light touch,I don't cut on the waste side of the line but I cut the line and if I get off no big deal, this will be the templet for laying out the matching pins,just clean them up good with a chisel--if I've cut accurate the cuts should line up with the marks on the other side-
IMG_8325.jpg

I cut the shoulder cuts and I'm ready to chisel out the waste-
IMG_8338.jpg

IMG_8339.jpg

I have ten of these dovetail corners to cut,today I will chisel the waste and lay out the pins.
alex

Alex, in the winter I very much like the Nigori Sake warmed up, kind of a meal in a cup:D in the summer I prefer a drier sake that I can enjoy straight, on the rocks! :thumb:

I supply myself with sets of Japanese chisels off of Yahoo auction here (Like E-bay over there) and they are often in need of some TLC, but for the price, you can't beat the deals with a stick!

What do you pay for the replacement blades in you Japanese pull saws?:huh:

Cheers!

Alex, in the winter I very much like the Nigori Sake warmed up, kind of a meal in a cup:D in the summer I prefer a drier sake that I can enjoy straight, on the rocks! :thumb:

I supply myself with sets of Japanese chisels off of Yahoo auction here (Like E-bay over there) and they are often in need of some TLC, but for the price, you can't beat the deals with a stick!

What do you pay for the replacement blades in you Japanese pull saws?:huh:

Cheers!
I drink it cold and all year around-I buy my blades at Highland Hardware in Atlanta-a blade last me at least five years,unless I break a tooth-I pay about $25 for the short blades and $30 bucks for the 9" --- that auction sounds good and I would like to find some off-set chisels--but I don't read Japanese---

alex

Last edited:
...I buy my blades at Highland Hardware in Atlanta-a blade last me at least five years,unless I break a tooth-I pay about $25 for the short blades and $30 bucks for the 9" ---

alex

Alex,
Tashiro Hardware in Seattle sells some very nice blades for very reasonable prices. I've been using his saws for several years now, and find them a cut above (pun intended) most of the others.

Before I start chiseling the waste from the tail boards I have to sharpen a few chisels-one of the chisels I will use has a little chip off the edge-I have been planning to grind it for awhile-this is a good time-all my chisels have been honed down till the hollow grind is about gone-so I grind a few of them (six)-I'm going to show how I go about grinding -first the grinder,I took a little 1/3hp 1725 rpm dayton motor,put the switch on the front, added a threaded extension for a 6" wheel,the wheel is dressed so the center is about 1/32 higher than the edges-the tool rest is from a delta wet dry grinder,I tapped holes in the top corners of the rest so I could add the piece of cocobolo-
IMG_8407.jpg

IMG_8410.jpg

IMG_8411.jpg

to set the angle of the tool rest I use the chisel I'm going to grind-
IMG_8460.jpg

first I grind the edge blunt,this grinds away any little nicks are chips,this blunt edge will be what I will grind to-
IMG_8462.jpg

IMG_8467.jpg

grind down to where the blunt edge is sharp again-I know there are all kind of jigs and contraptions to use to keep the tool straight and square when you grind and hone-for me I don't like messing with them,free hand is faster and with a little practice will be straight and square enough
IMG_8468.jpg

I like the six inch wheel,it puts just the right hollow grind in -
IMG_8478-1.jpg

more to come-
alex

Last edited:
With sharp chisels I'm ready to chop out the waste-this guide bar is steel with 60 grit sand paper glued to the bottom side-it weighs a little over seven pounds,so when you put it where you want it it don't move easy-
IMG_8459.jpg

to set the guide bar I use the square that is still set for the shoulder mark-
IMG_8456.jpg

clamp it down-
IMG_8446.jpg

with the bar in place I start- I cut halfway are more then flip the piece and cut from the other side-to say chop out the waste is a bit heavy,it's lighter than that-you know tap,tap--it's not timber framing-
IMG_8450.jpg

IMG_8501-1.jpg

IMG_8499.jpg

the other side
IMG_8504.jpg

trim the inside of the tails
IMG_8506.jpg

IMG_8508.jpg

I clean it up with sharp chisels and little rifflers-
IMG_8509.jpg

IMG_8515.jpg

more to come
alex

As always, looks great Alex :clap:

That chisel you are sharpening, that is one stout mortising chisel, we are seeing fewer and fewer of them around here for sale.

I use an 8" slow speed grinder for my turning tools, but I certainly agree with you that the 6" wheel is better for regular chisels!

Cheers!

:lurk:

As always, looks great Alex :clap:

That chisel you are sharpening, that is one stout mortising chisel, we are seeing fewer and fewer of them around here for sale.

I use an 8" slow speed grinder for my turning tools, but I certainly agree with you that the 6" wheel is better for regular chisels!

Cheers!

:lurk:
I was using that chisel because the thickness made it easy to photograph--I also use a 8" wheel for my turning tools but would never use it for chisels are plane Irons-I hardly ever burn a tool with this set-up also when I grind I keep my fingers right there where I'll feel it start getting to hot and of course I have a little jar of water and after three are four passes I'll dunk it-if I should burn a tool it will be at the corner-I'll grind it back blunt past the burn and start again----but that never happens-

rounding off the sharp corners
alex

thanks alex for the detailed pics of how you do it,, i have a motor that is destined to do as you have shown.. much more economical than a brand name specailty rig.. what grit of wheel are you using?

Alex,

Thank you again for continuing the sharing of details that are often overlooked. Always a pleasure to follow your projects.

Regards,

Lee