Walnut Writing Desk

part three-
i nearly always use dowels for side joints, as much for keeping the boards lined up when gluing as for the strength - i drill nine sets of 3/8" holes in each board-
DSCF0023-10.jpg

DSCF0032-3.jpg

to prepare the dowels i take a 3/8" dowel rod and with a with a little plane take two shavings off opposite so the glue at the bottom of the holes will have a getaway also i cut the dowels just a little short-
DSCF0039-2.jpg

i have two bandsaws and could cut these 27 dowels in a fraction of the time it takes to do it by hand but like i said i'm not in that big of a hurry and besides i need the practice - i use a sharp chisel to point the ends-the little curved riffler off to the side will be used to slightly point the other end after they have been tapped in-
DSCF0041-1.jpg

all 27 tapped in-each hole has a drop of glue-
DSCF0043-2.jpg

before i glue it up i made sure all my ducks are in a row-
DSCF0047-1.jpg

glued up-
DSCF0001-30.jpg

later in the day i take my new walnut desk top out of the clamps and it don't look bad-
DSCF0004-28.jpg

some answers-larry- iv'e been doing this for awhile
chris-later i will show how the legs will be attached.

more to come-----alex

Love that walnut! I always enjoy following your threads and I doubt this will be any different! That's a great looking slab you are starting with!

alex, question, what is the thinking behind grouping the dowels in 3's. does this make a difference or it just the way you do it? why not space them out evenly across the length of the boards? i see nothin wrong with your method, just wondering if there was a particular reason.

thanks
chris

alex, question, what is the thinking behind grouping the dowels in 3's. does this make a difference or it just the way you do it? why not space them out evenly across the length of the boards? i see nothin wrong with your method, just wondering if there was a particular reason.

thanks
chris
chris-no reason-like i said the dowels are as much for keeping the two boards lined up as much as for strength -
to bend the frames for the curved panels - i'll need a steam box-i made it yesterday-
spanish cedar-
DSCF0003-44.jpg

DSCF0004-29.jpg

DSCF0001-31.jpg

DSCF0006-36.jpg

DSCF0008-22.jpg

DSCF0010-19.jpg

DSCF0011-20.jpg

DSCF0001-32.jpg

this is a test piece to see how much spring-back i'll have -from this i'll make a mold to compensate-
DSCF0003-45.jpg
-

thanks ---- alex

this going along fine alex and very well done. you stop us just right when we are waiting for the next bit and thewn you go to advertizements making us wait till the next batch:)

larry-as for as the advertizements go-well iv'e not made a steam box in a long time (decades) so why not slip it in--oh always remember to wear gloves when messing with these things---

if you don't guard the snake oil
then buster you don't have a show

alex

hey alex i wasnt complaining about you puttin in the steam box at all its part of the show ,,absoulutly:thumb: i was just on the edge of my seat to se the out come of it.. i got some ideas that could use stem and was glad to see your methode.. and the stove in the shop leads us to belive you are in the dog house alot:) if yu need to do your cooking out there :rofl: