Minimum size of block for pen turning

allen levine

Ive been throwing out alot of stips under 1 and a 1/4 inch, all kind of hard woods, mahogany, ash, red oak, sapele, maple,
If its under 1.25, I really havent had much use for it, so I cut it down and toss it.
I saw another thread and figured Id ask, maybe put it all into a box and give it to someone who might want it.
Im not talking hundreds, but I must have thrown out 6-8 inche by1 inch, maybe 50 or so in the last 2 builds.

Apart from pens they could be used for bobbins, miniatures of various things and also fo making inlays. Dowelled up they can look good in box lids etc. Oh yes, sounds as if they would be OK for finials as well.

Pete

I guess any wood, but highly figured woods make the prettiest pens. Pine, cottonwood, popular or other light colored straight grain woods are not very pretty in pens unless they are spalted. There are those that will disagree with me, I guess.

I've made pens out of 1/2" stock, but that is the slimlinw type pens. The bigger pend require the bigger stock as Frank stated.

Last edited:
Allen, I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but for pens, it's best if the grain runs the length of the blank. In other words, scraps from rip cuts are more useful than scraps from crosscuts.

Allen, I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but for pens, it's best if the grain runs the length of the blank. In other words, scraps from rip cuts are more useful than scraps from crosscuts.
Hi Vaughn; That's not completely true! Check out this pen from a X-cut scrap of Zebrawood turned by a friend of mine.

attachment.php

The longest part of that pen is just slightly over 2". Just having turned pens for somewhat less than 1 year now, I look at small pieces of wood in a whole new light!

Last edited:
its usually only with the grain cuts.
If I use a 6.5 or 6.24 inch wide board, and Ill get 2 2.5 inch cuts out of it, I might get stuck with an 1inch strip.
I let them hang around for weeks, and weeks, then when I see I wont use them in anything, I cut them down to a small size so I fit them into the trash and toss them. Ill just trim them down to 8 inches next time, and box them until I fill one up.

its usually only with the grain cuts.
If I use a 6.5 or 6.24 inch wide board, and Ill get 2 2.5 inch cuts out of it, I might get stuck with an 1inch strip.
I let them hang around for weeks, and weeks, then when I see I wont use them in anything, I cut them down to a small size so I fit them into the trash and toss them. Ill just trim them down to 8 inches next time, and box them until I fill one up.
There you go... stop by the post office and pick up a flat rate box or two, they're free and when you do get to sending them on, they're flat rate up to 10 lbs.

I knew ye would git zinged by the crosscut crowd. ;) Can make pretty pens but, for me, the failure rate and frustration factor keep me away from doing the CCs.
Besides, even with the extra work and unique appearance, I can't get more money for a CC than a straight cut.
Ye like blow ups? :rolleyes: Try CC pens. :rofl:

Hi Vaughn; That's not completely true! Check out this pen from a X-cut scrap of Zebrawood turned by a friend of mine...

I came this close to tempering that statement with something like "most turners prefer...", since I knew there were some really nice pens made from cross grain blanks. :p Like the one you posted pics of. :thumb:

one more question, trying to get a grasp before I ask someone I met recently to do me a favor.

I want to make a lamp with a vase like shape base made from short pieces of mahogany I have. 12 inches long, Id laminate/glue up 6 to 8 boards to get a nice chunk. Can this be spun into a shape? Does glue mess up final product?