grandfather clock idea for the state fair

Dan Noren

Staff member
this one took a while to figure out, but here it is. i haven't figured out what wood to use, but i'm thinking either quartersawn white oak, cherry, or african mahogany. i've included views from sketchup, and rendered by podium.

Attachments

• gfc idea 2c.jpg
    gfc idea 2c.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 33
  • gc idea 2p.jpg
    gc idea 2p.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 57
That's awesome Dan, a traditional piece in a contemporary style. I assume the clock part is some sort of digital model?

My only suggestion is that the legs, to me, are a bit beefy and over powering. I would try thinning them out some.

Tony

Last edited:
thanks tony! no, i will be using a traditional clock face with hands. the chimes will be digital though. the legs are a bit on the sturdy side, at the bottom they are 1 5/8" x 4", and taper up from there. they're only that way for stability, since both the clock and bottom cases are free hanging, and the only connections to the legs are the front to back hangers for both cases, and the middle shelf. aside from the plant stand, this is one of my most evil of evil thought projects. :D

I like the contemporary Asian cues. Would the clock box "head" of the piece be more prominient if it extended up taller than the 4 posts? The posts could get shorter, but i think it might lighten the entire piece if the head box were simply moved up so that it was taller than the posts. It might reinforce the design heirarchy i think you're looking for.
The essential design is strong - whether you tweak it or not it will be a successful enduring piece.
Good luck and have fun with it.
Paul Hubbman

oh, i will be having fun with it! :thumb: its one of the most complicated items that have oozed thier way up out my evil thought pool, this side of the plant stand that i built for last year's fair. :rofl:

i'm pretty sure that this will be the reaction of my family when i start to build it --> :rolleyes::rofl::eek::doh::clap::bonkers::confused::dunno::bang:

it's going to be six feet tall when finished. we do get quite a few entries in different catagories. from toys, kayaks, canoes, and carvings, to musical instruments, frames and furniture. i've usually had one or more items entered, and have taken 2nd through 4th (with 94 out of a possible 100 pts) each time. i figure either i've been lucky, or the judges have left thier seeing eye dogs at home (trying to stay humble here).