When one door closes.....

Been there, Rennie! Start updating that resumé, and brushing up your interview skills.

Not sure what the job market is like in your area, but best wishes for finding a new job that's even better than the last one was.

Rennie, that sucks. :(

I know that you will come through this better off, maybe not right away, but you will come out the other side in a better spot, I have faith in you. :thumb:

I too am sorry to hear the news. It seems it gets closer to each one of us, each new day. Like the others said, your attitude is good, keep it up. Hit the job market hard. You know you aren't the only one looking. Maybe one of the Borgs or local lumber yard could use a man with you're back ground and talents. Some one has to calculate that stuff for the people that are building. Good luck brother. Jim.

Thanks one and all.

I want to thank each of you for the kind words and encouragement both here and in the PM's. I know I'm not the only person having to deal with this kind of thing, but it helps to know that others have come through OK and I know I will as well.:thumb:

It's a bit scary being let go at nearly 58 years old from a position I had hoped to retire from. Fortunately the severance package will see us through the next few months and that also helps take some of the pressure off.

I'm going to finish my chancel furniture early:D and then build a few things for sale. A close friend was laid off from a cabinet shop about 4 months ago. He has been building 'primitive pine' furniture in his shop and doing rather well with it. I've already approached him about taking a few of my things in with him next time he visits the stores that retail for him. I would not be competition as I'm thinking more along the line of small boxes, dovetail joints, etc. Quite a ways from primitive pine. I now have the time to build my web site too.:):type:

In the mean time I'll network as much as I can, get my resume out on the net, and bang on doors. Something will come up. and, if I'm ever feeling like it's too much, I know I can here for a morale boost.:thumb:

Another thank you to all who have offered encouragement. :thumb:

I've been giving some thought to a few things and trying to maintain a positive outlook. A review of severance, savings, and tax refund status tells me we'll get by, if need be, for several months. This is good because the job market is poor here, though not nearly as bad as some other areas. So, some frugal living should keep us fed and covered.

Some of the things on my to-do list?

• Finish my current project early
  • Build some things for sale (I've got 300 BF of walnut to work through)
  • Get my website up and running
  • Finish my shop reorg - I still have a couple of outlets to install and I need to hook up the dust collector to the CMS
  • Finish a bunch of small projects around the house
  • Finish a bunch of small projects around the church
  • Learn Sketchup (since I no longer have access to AutoCAD :()
  • Take about 80% of the housework load off the LOML
Of course, mixed in with all the above is polish up the resume and look for new employment.:D Gee, if I lived closer I could even find time to help a certain someone finish his shed!:rofl:

Gee, if I lived closer I could even find time to help a certain someone finish his shed!:rofl:[/QUOTE]

hey you any good at beds:) and i am closer and feed and water my help well:)

Rennie ..I dont know how i keep doing this but I missed you thread, until now.

Really sorry to hear your news. Something tells me good people get looked after and you are good people.

I try to remember the saying "Tough times never last, tough people do".

This "jobs" problem is bigger than what I think we are hearing about in the press.

On the other hand it could be that we are all more connected today so news of this kind travels fast.

Keep faith something will come along.:thumb:

Another thank you to all who have offered encouragement. :thumb:
:D Gee, if I lived closer I could even find time to help a certain someone finish his shed!:rofl:

And You'd Still be out of work, until the money tree sprouts and I find $1000 or more for the war chest.

I had to read this twice. :eek:

Actually, you still have too much snow and 1,200 miles is still a bit far to commute.:D

they get snow in Michigan? :huh:

Rennie, I too am sorry to hear your "news" - losing a job is always a wrenching thing. My son is losing his job too, and he's 20 years younger than you. He said that he's going to put in an application at Home Depot!! He's tired of driving 18-wheelers for companies that don't give a fig about their employees!!

I know you'll bounce back - but you'll probably be able to get all of your projects finished too. Remember, you were looking for a job when you found this one - there's another one out there for you - if you want it.

Not all home depots or the other borgs are doing great either,,they are closing a few down completly and the ones near me are basically vacant the last time i was in there i saw 5 cars or trucks and it was at 4pm. so the go to jobs that once was, arent there much either in our area,, mcdonalds even isnt hiring .. not tryun to throw a black rug on the situtaion but some reality for the ones that think its a givien to walk into the old spots and get a job.

Not all home depots or the other borgs are doing great either,,they are closing a few down completly and the ones near me are basically vacant the last time i was in there i saw 5 cars or trucks and it was at 4pm. so the go to jobs that once was, arent there much either in our area,, mcdonalds even isnt hiring .. not tryun to throw a black rug on the situtaion but some reality for the ones that think its a givien to walk into the old spots and get a job.

I totally concur with you, Larry. But at this point, I didn't want to be the one to throw cold water on his idea! He's depressed enough at this point!