Legacy plane

Rick Beko

I decided to take a stab at building one of the 1" Legacy plane kits. It was definitely a learning experience. Overall I am pleased with how it turned out. The plane was ordered with Cocobolo for the infill but I ended up using rosewood instead. In hindsight I should have done less power sanding. For the final sanding I glued some sandpaper to a marble piece I use for sharpening. This took some time as the power sander was not as flat as I would have liked so it took some time to remove all the scratches and get a flat surface. I honed the blade and it produces some fine shavings.

Attachments

• DSC_0370-1.JPG
    DSC_0370-1.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0381.JPG
    DSC_0381.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0384.JPG
    DSC_0384.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 32
Thanks for the feedback. I would have to say the hardest part was the last stage...sanding. Now that I have gone through the process I would do less power sanding and more by hand. Power sanding did not leave as flat a surface as I originally thought. I ended up removing more material than necessary flattening all the surfaces. The peining processes was also interesting as you always questions as to whether the joints are tight enough.