Kayak Launched * still no name!

Jeff Horton

Still have no official name for this boat but it is officially started. I have been tossing around dozens of names and nothing has stuck yet. Heck nothing is even on the short list!

I did have a good suggestion though. A friend suggested using local river/creeks/streams/mud puddle names. That has a local tie which I like. but still nothing .....

But I did start on the framing today. Time consuming cutting all these ribs. I think I am going to have to find me a CNC machine to cut these out. But here is where it stand.

121802-1.jpg 121802-2.jpg 121802-3a.jpg

Last edited:
It may not be to original as names go but considering how light they are go with names of water fowl??

That was exactly what I started out thinking. But it is done to death. Lots of boats named that way so I have decided against that.

mind you now, the name ruptured duck has already been taken... :rofl:

Dan considering your sig line is:

Humble opinions, suggestions, hints, tips and pointers are all welcome. smart remarks will be graded on originality and creativity, then billed accordingly.

I will be sending you a bill and after that I think you owe me big! :doh:

But I did start on the framing today. Time consuming cutting all these ribs.

Jeff,

Just a thought: are you keeping records or logs of the build? Since you're doing it for profit now, at some point you may want to do an an analysis, what we call in my field 'effort reporting'. It can be real simple, like, just every fifteen minutes make a quick note in a notebook on what you're doing. It seems silly, but sometimes its durned helpful, and often the results are pretty surprising!

Thanks,

Bill

Jeff:
It's got to feel just a little more exciting, now that you are building it for hire. It may be built the same way and all that but now it has a different purpose. Best of luck with your new adventure. We already know that what ever you build will be first class.:thumb::thumb::wave:

Jeff,

Just a thought: are you keeping records or logs of the build? Since you're doing it for profit now, at some point you may want to do an an analysis, what we call in my field 'effort reporting'. It can be real simple, like, just every fifteen minutes make a quick note in a notebook on what you're doing. It seems silly, but sometimes its durned helpful, and often the results are pretty surprising!

Thanks,

Bill

Careful Bill...He might find the profit margins too narrow and outsource himself. :rofl:

Actually that's a good idea. I wished I had done that when I was doing stained glass. Spent a lot of time on things for not much money, but eventually found better and quicker ways to do them and still keep a good quality product.

I keep a Log in Excel so I know how many hours and money I have in it. Have to do that so I have an idea if I am making anything on my time or rather will make any that is.

I got some quotes from someone on cutting the parts the other day and I doubt I could buy a CNC and ever pay for it at his prices. He was cheaper than I expected and (using my log) it looks like it is cheaper to have him do them once I am settled on the final design.

More progress made today.

Frames are not glued but lashed together with artificial sinew. Yes they are amazingly tight too.

121902-2.jpg

Then created the bow piece. I decided to put in the lightening holes in there to help keep the weight down.

122002-5.jpg

Next step was to build the stern. It has about the only glue that I will use in this one. I got so preoccupied with figuring out how to build this and glued it up before I realized I forgot to put in the lightening holes. Might be able to borrow a large hole saw.

122002-3.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't look much different but if you look close you can see the differences. I have all the pieces cut and in place. A couple need a just a little trimming and rounding off the sharp ends. But shouldn't take more than a few hours to finish up this part. (famous last words).

122102-2.jpg

122102-1.jpg

Next step it to oil the frame. Install the seat boards and then the fun part. Wrap it in stretch wrap (plastic). Don the dry suit and head to the water to see if I like what I created.