Resawing logs

Jeff Horton

Quick and dirty jig and nothing new, but it works! I am not sure but I think I may have stolen this idea from Stu? It is a KISS jig for sure!

Just made from scraps and screwed together. Attached the log to the upright peice with some deck screws and she is ready to resaw. Once I get a flat surface I lay it down on that flat and saw another flat at 90 degrees. Then I can just run it against the fence and resaw what ever I want.

jig1.jpgjig2.jpgfirst%20cut.jpgsecond%20cut.jpg

Super simple and it works!

Simple amd effective. Very nice Jeff.

Could you maybe elaborate on the specifications of your design a little maybe please? Perhaps the type of material used and it's dimensions? Maybe throw in a basic Sketchup drawing (one drawing for each step of the process would be great). A material's list with type and number of screws needed/used and some engineering of the sled would be great too. Oh, and could you include some info on the moisture content of the material, the bandsaw blade size and tooth count along with the amount of tension you used? That would be wonderful, thanks very much.

:rofl:

Happy New Year Jeff. :D

Yep, that is what I did to start from I've chopped up a few of them "L" sleds, but they are simple and cheap to make.

Adding to Mark's comments, I'd like to see the structural drawing for that sled as well, maybe with some shear rating on them deck screws too;) :rofl:

Now show us the wood that came from it, any nice stuff? :D

Not to criticize what you are doing, I just don't understand it/why.
It looks like your 'keeper' piece of wood is outside the fence.
When I resaw I just make a first pass along the fence to get one flat side. I then turn that side down 90 degrees on the table and adjust my fence to the thickness I want and begin sawing. The keepers are between the blade and fence. Am I missing something here?

I'm in Frank's camp, and only run about a third or less of the cross-sectional area between the fence and blade. Just enough to give me one good flat side. After that it's just ripping with the fence.

I built a sled that will cut small logs up to about 3' in length. I have some info with photos posted here, FWIW.

Cheers,

Kevin

Frank, I guess I should have elaborated. The purpose of this jig was just to get some flat sides that I could run against the fence. Sort of like jointing it. This piece was to irregular to run against the fence as it was. No straight edges. Once I got the two flat sides I remove it from the jig and start making the real cuts.

I thought it was you Stu that I got this idea from!

Mark, there is only two ways to get all the techinical data on this jig.
* A Vulcan mind meld, cause all that data is in my head.
* Research it yourself by build building a few and testing them.

I think you better start building. :D

Jeff
Shuddering at the thought of mine and Marks minds becoming one! :rofl:

I guess 'resawing' can be defined differently for strokes of d'rent folks. The biggest I have done is logs about 2' to 3' long and no more than 6" thick. I'll take off aprox. 1/2" to 3/4" from one side to make a flat, flip it onto that flat side and then start making my cuts using only the fence as a guide. Anything bigger, I'll take to a friend that has the equivalent of Stu's Big Blue. Making planks out of big logs isn't in my repertoire.

Actually, I still have my big (for me) log sled from a couple of years ago, along with a tall fence set up. I'm looking forward to modifying them to work with my new MM16.

And....you may want to rethink the mind-meld thing. You would definately come out on the short end of that deal. :D :D :D

I guess 'resawing' can be defined differently for strokes of d'rent folks. The biggest I have done is logs about 2' to 3' long and no more than 6" thick. I'll take off aprox. 1/2" to 3/4" from one side to make a flat, flip it onto that flat side and then start making my cuts using only the fence as a guide. Anything bigger, I'll take to a friend that has the equivalent of Stu's Big Blue. Making planks out of big logs isn't in my repertoire.
Frank, I think even with a little 6" log, you run the risk of having it want to rotate if you're just holding the log freehand. If the blade gets caught for some reason, it can twist you up pretty quick. (Not to mention the blade.) I recall someone on SMC posting some time back about having a log get away from them and breaking their thumb while hand-feeding a round log.

Frank, I think even with a little 6" log, you run the risk of having it want to rotate if you're just holding the log freehand. If the blade gets caught for some reason, it can twist you up pretty quick. (Not to mention the blade.) I recall someone on SMC posting some time back about having a log get away from them and breaking their thumb while hand-feeding a round log.

Hmmm... good food for thought. I'm pretty fond of my fingers staying where they are and in good shape.
Sometimes we have to forget KISS and get SMART.
Might be a bandsaw sled in my Grizzly's future. :thumb:

My "L" sled is really just a straight edge guide for the first and second cut, you can even go more low tech if you like..............

bb_slicing2.jpg

Just screw a 2x6 to one side, run it through the saw, take it off, and screw the 2x6 to the side again, and there you go! :D

The other sled I made a while back is a step up, be also just a 30 minute or so job, nothing as nice or high tech as the primo sled that Kevin made :thumb:

Cheers!