Rectangle bowl......

A "friend", and I use that term loosely:p, pointed me to Mark Placek's website filled with amazing square and rectangle bowls.

How hard can it be I thought, just some scraps, glue, and clamps. Well, it's also patience and precision...both of which I lack....but here is my first attempt. ..... 7 1/4 x 11 1/2 x 1 3/4....one coat AO, buffed. Walnut, Jarrah, Redheart.

ANY and ALL comments appreciated.

HPIM3101485x650.jpg

HPIM3100485x650.jpg

HPIM3145540x650.jpg

HPIM3148566x650.jpg

HPIM3151650x261.jpg

Still got all your knuckles? :D

That came out looking real nice, Barry. :thumb: Great way to use up the leftover flat wood from days gone by, too.

I've seen this sort of thing done as wallhangings. Look really effective. Must be dificult thinking ahead how the different coours will turn out. Way beyond me at the moment I'm afraid.

Pete

GREAT WORK. I DID A CEDAR BOWL CLOSE TO THAT BUT THE BOTTOM HAD TWO LEVELS. ONLY THING I KEPT GETTING MY FINGERS TO CLOSE TO THE SQUARE PART AND IT WOULD ZAP ME AND REMIND ME WHAT I WAS DOING. I STARTED TO DO A COMVENTIONAL BOWL BUT AS I WAS CALLED AWAY A FEW TIMES AS I WAS DOING THE ROUGH OUT I SEEN A POSSABILTY OF A SQUARE OR RECTANGULAR TOP SO I DID IT. I WILL HAVE TO TAKE A PICTURE AND POST IT IF YOU ALL WOULD LIKE THAT.

Just found my camera. hope this works.do not know how to insert picture.it kkeeps asking me url do not know what it is. oh well.

Last edited:
Barry & Ralph,
I like the square/rectangular bowls... very interesting concept. I like the concept of the glue ups.

right now though, I'm not sure I have the cahones to take the risk to my fingers... I like them and really would like to keep the intact.

chuck from what i read in your post you said you liked the glue up concept. my bowl was from a solid piece of cedar. although i do glue up after i use the ringmaster on my shopsmith. the cedar bowl was done on a shopsmith but not the ringmaster.:D:D

After turning a couple of these myself you have to appreciate the scary factor of turning sq/retangular stock. It makes quite a noise and it can also make quite a lump on errant body parts (DAMHIKT). Well done. Your bowl is very nice.