Hey Rennie! Let's Start a Club!

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Well, after nearly 18 years at the same company, I got three checks in my envelope today. Along with others, I got laid off this afternoon. The software business has taken a hit just like pretty much every other field recently, so my position has been eliminated, as well as several others. I left on good terms, and have already made it known that I'm available for contract work, since it's apparent they've decided to outsource my position on a seasonal basis. (I was the only person at the company who wrote user manuals and help files, and they will need new ones before they can release the next versions of their products, which are currently in the mill.) I have no desire to go back to the company full time.

Like Rennie, I'm looking forward to turning the page on a new chapter in life. I haven't enjoyed my job for quite a while, and life's too short to spend a major portion of it working with people you don't like. I'm going to start pursuing contract work initially, since I don't think there are a lot of viable permanent positions in my area right now. If I'm freelancing, I can work remotely for just about any company in the world, all from the relative comfort of home. It'll involve some lifestyle changes around here though, especially until I can get some work coming in.

If anybody you know is looking for some writing or editing, technical or otherwise, let me know. ;)

Ouch, that Hurts.:( Sure sorry it has hit your doorstep too, Vaughn. Like has been said before, sometimes Change, works out for the better, and I sure hope it works out that way for you as well as Rennie. We had been "sweating it" for out oldest Daughter but "Fortunately" she survived her Company's First big layoff of 4,000, but if the Dow hits 5,000, they will have another really big one, and then........:dunno:.

Sorry to hear about that Vaughn, but at the same time, I think, long term, you will be better off because of it.

Best of luck to you, at least you can catch up on your wood turning! :D :thumb:

PS wanna come over and help me with the other two Aparto renovation, I'll get you to talk to the NN :D

man vaughn its finally hit the west coast too! and even the top brass,, sorry to hear of your news and contracting from home does sound inviting... working at a job you arent happy in is one tough thing to do ,,, but the contracting in the folks that i know of doing it pays better than the 40hr jobs.. i think your gonna be having lots of company in this club in the next 6 months:(

I am not laid off but I have been more unemployed the last 6 months than employed. There has been less than 40 homes sold the last two months in our County so there are not many home to be inspected or Appraised.

I highly suggest grabbing the book Financial Peace. He teaches to set up budget and prioritize. The only that matter are food, shelter, utilities and transportation. Got to have a place to live, food and shelter. Most of us need a car to get a job. After that, let them scream. If you can't pay it you can't pay it.

Most of the collection departments are Masters at mashing your buttons and making you mad. Then you say 'I will show them' and write a check for the credit card (or what ever ) and then you can't make the house payment.

Hopefully we will all find some work first though. But......

Last edited:
Well again (like Rennie) it sounds like you have a positive outlook to your layoff. That's important...good vibes coming from IA to CA for you. :thumb:

All the best. Fortunately, you have several fall back options.
Interestingly, there are many articles being published on recession proof jobs. Software programmer is near the top of the list. Maybe your former employers didn't read the articles. :rolleyes:

So sorry to hear that Vaughn...

Here's to hoping that this will be a very small club of FWW members....

Best wishes....

Well, after nearly 18 years at the same company, I got three checks in my envelope today. Along with others, I got laid off this afternoon. The software business has taken a hit just like pretty much every other field recently, so my position has been eliminated, as well as several others. I left on good terms, and have already made it known that I'm available for contract work, since it's apparent they've decided to outsource my position on a seasonal basis. (I was the only person at the company who wrote user manuals and help files, and they will need new ones before they can release the next versions of their products, which are currently in the mill.) I have no desire to go back to the company full time.

Like Rennie, I'm looking forward to turning the page on a new chapter in life. I haven't enjoyed my job for quite a while, and life's too short to spend a major portion of it working with people you don't like. I'm going to start pursuing contract work initially, since I don't think there are a lot of viable permanent positions in my area right now. If I'm freelancing, I can work remotely for just about any company in the world, all from the relative comfort of home. It'll involve some lifestyle changes around here though, especially until I can get some work coming in.

If anybody you know is looking for some writing or editing, technical or otherwise, let me know. ;)
In spite of what is said, misery does not like company - not when it's something like this. I could tell you I know how you feel, but you know that already.:(

I hope you can line up something soon. I'm pullin' for ya. It might be kinda cool doing contract work. I don't possess those kinds of skills, so I'll be looking to work for 'the man'.:D I'm guess there are a lot of bowls coming out of your shop in the next month - got any shows lined up?:)

Dang Vaughn, sorry to hear that, if your dissapointed with the situation, that is. I almost thought I heard a sigh of relief in yout post. Sounds like you have a good fallback plan and I know your a person who will turn a problem into an opportunity. Getting nudged out of one's comfort zone usually turns out to be a good thing in the end. So maybe I should say, congratulations, on opening a new chapter in your life! Hey, how's that for spin?:D

Vaughn, add me to the list. SO sorry to hear this. I'm with Glenn, I think the whole nation is on pins and needles about our jobs. We are under extra pressure to push for the upsales here at the dealership in service. Not to push for things that aren't needed, but to keep everyone up to date on their maintenance work. Hope I don't read any more of these notices here. Keep your head up! Jim.