Bosch colt-what is it for?

larry merlau

ok here i go again, this time i got a pic i hope that will explain my question.

what is this black thing on the cord for ? it slides up and down the cord freely.

Attachments

• colt.bmp
    106.2 KB · Views: 97
Larry

Your picture isn't showing up in the post and when I click on it my computer says it doesn't know what program to use to open it.

Jay

Larry

Your picture isn't showing up in the post and when I click on it my computer says it doesn't know what program to use to open it.

Jay

.bmp image

Use windows picture and fax viewer, in XP Pro

yeah i dont know why io couldnt see it as pic in the preveiw either had no idea for sure if it was gonna show up. you can go to the rockler page and see i there.

I dunno the real name for it, but I believe it's a magnet thing to reduce the electrical interference caused by the router.

Well I'm no engineer and don't completely understand just how they work. But on most computer equipment and audio/video equipment there is a "choke" installed on the power cord. Somehow it helps control RF interference from the equipment. They look like circular magnets and just slip over the cord. Sometimes they're encased in an enclosure but sometimes you can see the individual chokes.

John

I guess since these are likely to be used in a living space for a countertops the RF could interfer with other household electronics. Not sure the benefit for a shop space. It seems small enough that it probably doesn't matter:dunno:

It should help keep static (motor noise) from other equipment, radios are usually very suseptable, as well as computers. If it slides, I'd put it at the router end, to keep/reduce motor noise off the power cord/lines. If you have a radio on closeby that you can hear, experiment a bit.

It's just a "static noise" thing, not safety/performance related.

It is a RF choke or ferite core. It will not allow high frequency signals to pass while allowing low frequency to pass.

The 60hz power is low frequency and does not know the core is installed. The arc at the brushes will cause the buzzing in AM radios and but noise on the AC line for other equipment to have to deal with. The brush acr is high frequency so it gets stopped.

The tool will work with or with it.

As the FCC gets tighter on this, much like emissions on gas engines you will see more and more of this type of thing.

When I bought my Oneway 2436 lathe, they have a RF filter option available. I bought it only to reduce the noise my variable frequency drive puts out. It does nothing for the lathe. Just trying to be a good guy in a noisy world. electrical noise that is.

Ed

As far as I know, it's an anti-theft device.. I got one on my bosch r.o. and I looked it up on the web, then I broke it off...carefully. I don't need that crap in my way, I've got serious sanding to do!

If you don't believe me, I'll bet their is a name on the device. Check it on the web. I can't remember what the name is, but then again, I broke it off and have forgotten about it until now.

I'm sorry to disagree with all of you fine folks but you are all wrong.

Larry, It's a secret decoder module. You need to buy another Bosch Colt so that you have two modules so that you can send coded secret router messages to your woodworking partner. If you don't have a secret woodworking partner, don't worry about it.

Glad I could help.

:rofl:

Ed nailed it, of course :D

bosch_colt.jpg

There is a NON-bmp pic of it.

I have several tools that do make one heck of a noise when the radio is on and they are near by, nice to see that someone is thinking of this kind of thing. Sure, when you are running the Colt, you will not be able to hear the radio go all funky, but what about a family member in the other room, might be that each time you switch on the Colt, their radio screeches at them...........?

My Nova lathe really destroys my radio signal, which sucks, as the lathe it self is not that noisy, but the radio screams when I turn on the lathe.

Cheers!

It is a RF choke or ferite core. It will not allow high frequency signals to pass while allowing low frequency to pass.

The 60hz power is low frequency and does not know the core is installed. The arc at the brushes will cause the buzzing in AM radios and but noise on the AC line for other equipment to have to deal with. The brush acr is high frequency so it gets stopped.

The tool will work with or with it.

As the FCC gets tighter on this, much like emissions on gas engines you will see more and more of this type of thing.

When I bought my Oneway 2436 lathe, they have a RF filter option available. I bought it only to reduce the noise my variable frequency drive puts out. It does nothing for the lathe. Just trying to be a good guy in a noisy world. electrical noise that is.

Ed

Ed's got it nailed!

We often install them on equipments used in hospitals to prevent any RF noise that might be in the lines from affecting the function of medical equipment. Some of the equipments...like CAT scanners use brushes on a large motor. The filter prevents the high freqency brush noise from getting into the AC line and affecting other equipments. We use them on the power distribution units for MR scanners to prevent the RF signal generated by the MR scanner's RF amplifier from entering the incoming power lines and having a negative effect on other equipment in the hospital.

Check out boschtools.com There is nothing like that in the parts list or the owner's manual. What is the name on the device? An internet search engine can clear many things up. If it is what is being said, then it's aftermarket, probably aliens or something.