Bosch colt-what is it for?

Check out boschtools.com There is nothing like that in the parts list or the owner's manual. What is the name on the device? An internet search engine can clear many things up. If it is what is being said, then it's aftermarket, probably aliens or something.
It's an RF choke. It's part of part #5, the 'Mains Connection Cable'. Not shown in the diagram, but I'll bet if you order part #5, one of those will be on it. It's not aftermarket, but I believe some manufacturers only put RF chokes on tools (or other electrical items) that are being sold in countries that have more strict radio interference laws and regulations, like the US.

The antitheft device, if there was one, is most likely inside the cardboard box the router came in. (Thin, adhesive-backed rings of foil or the little 3/8" x 1" white plastic thing glued to the inside of the box.)

Okay you guys. I called Bosch today and it is an aftermarket security device. The representative told me there are many manufacturers of those devices, but they are "not" Bosch factory parts. I'll bet if you order that cable from Bosch there would not be one on there. 1-877-267-2499 is the number for Bosch customer service. Check for yourselves! Thanks.

Oh no, maybe it's some kind of tracking device!

Big brother is keeping his eye on you even when you're in your shop. Oh dear Lord, is that a black helicopter I see on the horizon? The blue helmets will be here shortly! :D :D

Take care,

John

Last edited:
Okay you guys. I called Bosch today and it is an aftermarket security device. The representative told me there are many manufacturers of those devices, but they are "not" Bosch factory parts. I'll bet if you order that cable from Bosch there would not be one on there. 1-877-267-2499 is the number for Bosch customer service. Check for yourselves! Thanks.
I guess I stand corrected. ;)

Shawn....You may be right in this case but .....there are both electronic and mechanical RF filters used on equipment. The mechanical type are often just 2 pieces of ferrite material that are held around the power cable and a couple of tywraps are placed around them to hold them in place. The ferrite core in fact though mechanical acts as an electrical RF filter. The electrical ones are a little more sophisticated ...some are a simple LC filter circuit....some are some pretty intensively designed circuits with actual active components. In both cases they are designed to reduce RF interference noise created by the particular tool or equipment.

Hmmmm I still think it's an RF choke for the tool, unless Larry can show a close up pic with a hole or something to run a cable through it...

Here is a square one you can get at Radio Shack..different shape, but same purpose.

http://www.radioshack.com/sm-snap-together-ferrite-choke-core--pi-2103222.html

Here's one on my camera USB Cable. As you can see, it just clips on.

Larry, can you take a closer pic, tell us if it is a "clip on" type thing, screw on or has some way to connect to a security cable?

this is a new one on me:eek: .....if there`s no federal mandate for such a thing then why would tool manufacturers install them? has anyone seen these devices on any other bosch tools? or milwaukee,makita ect?.....next thing i know i`ll be required to lead wrap my shop and wear my lil` tinfoil hat just so i don`t mess up marys cell signal as she drives by....;)

Tod,

It could very well be a 3rd party accessory. I don't know if Larry bought the Bosch brand new, or if he got it used. If used, the previous owner might have had problems with noise on his radio or other electronic device and put it on to solve the problem.

Another thing, if it were a security device, why would it "slide freely" as Larry says in his initial post? I would think any security device would be a clip type think that attaches directly, and permanently to the tool itself, not the cord that could easily be cut.

Yes, Tod. I got a Bosch R.O sander a few months back, saw that thing on the cord, looked it up on the internet by the name on the device, then I broke it off and started sanding. It clips onto the cord, but you need to break it to get it off. A quick tap with a hammer and that thing is outta the way with no damage to the cord or loss of radio quality. I do not doubt that there is a device similar to this that is the RF filter, but the device on that router is not it. Bosch didn't put it on there, but they do know what it is.