What can I do with it???

I've got this treadmill sitting in our bedroom and not being used.:( Didn't want to drag it here but LOML said bring it and the rest is history.:rolleyes: It died last year but LOML said she wanted it fixed!:eek: So with some help of the internet I diagnosed a bad controller and installed a new one at 200 bucks!:doh: Well I don't think it is going to be used anymore and hate to try and sell it and have strangers coming in:eek: and don't want to through it away.:( There has to be something I could build for the shop to put the guts to good use so I figured with all the great minds that hang out here:D somebody has made something or knows somebody that made somthing cool and usable out of a treadmill.:dunno:

Royall,

Dan has a pretty close idea for it. Those treadmill motors make good variable speed power sources for tools like lathes, or drill presses, for example.

Yours could be a DC motor/drive, or it could be a 3 phase motor with a variable frequency drive controller. Either one would work nicely. (I seem to have one of each but not to the point of making use of them, yet.)

Any help I might be able to offer, let me know.

Aloha, Tony

I'll echo Tony...I've heard of folks using treadmill motors for Jet mini lathe upgrades. Seems someone here was doing it...Carol Reed? I don't remember for sure.

Well, yeah, sort of. I have a couple of DC motors - before the treadmill motors. They are committed to projects. The mini Jet and a sharpening system.

I also have two treadmill motors and guts. One is committed to a drum sander project. I kept the belts and platens for powered feeder systems. The other one? Hmmm...waiting on inspiration, I guess. Unwanted treadmills are pretty easy to acquire for next to nothing. Biggest problem is figuring out a simpler control system. Tread mill control systems offer way too many options, when all I wanted was variable speed and reversing capabilities.

So, I'll watch this thread and see what the collective trust dream up.

I replaced the 3450 rpm motor on a sharpening system with a DC variable-speed motor from a treadmill. No more tool burning. As Carol says the controllers on treadmills have to support too many options, although I did jerry-rig it to use the treadmill controller for awhile. Eventually I replaced the controller with a simpler one...you can find those on ebay.

Cheers.

Replace the track with a sanding belt and have a great big belt sander... :thumb:

OR Do what I did...

Give it to your daughter so now she has to figure out how to store it.... :thumb::rofl:

well, you could always set up the treadmill to power a lathe. that way, you and the lil one can spend time together woodworking. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well Dan, Don't even think I'm going there:D:rofl::rofl:

Royall,

Dan has a pretty close idea for it. Those treadmill motors make good variable speed power sources for tools like lathes, or drill presses, for example.

Yours could be a DC motor/drive, or it could be a 3 phase motor with a variable frequency drive controller. Either one would work nicely. (I seem to have one of each but not to the point of making use of them, yet.)

Any help I might be able to offer, let me know.

Aloha, Tony

3 phase??? That's an awful small motor to be 3 phase or does that make a difference? How do you know which is which??

who said anything about using the motor? he gets lohl on the treadmill. she walks/runs, he turns... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'll let YOU broach that subject with her!:eek: I'm really not as stupid as I look or sound!! :rofl::rofl:

Well, yeah, sort of. I have a couple of DC motors - before the treadmill motors. They are committed to projects. The mini Jet and a sharpening system.

I also have two treadmill motors and guts. One is committed to a drum sander project. I kept the belts and platens for powered feeder systems. The other one? Hmmm...waiting on inspiration, I guess. Unwanted treadmills are pretty easy to acquire for next to nothing. Biggest problem is figuring out a simpler control system. Tread mill control systems offer way too many options, when all I wanted was variable speed and reversing capabilities.

So, I'll watch this thread and see what the collective trust dream up.

Carol, when the creative juices start flowing I hope you post a bunch of photos:D I don't want to take the thing apart until I know what it'll be used for. That way it's stored in the bedroom, not the shop
:rofl:

I replaced the 3450 rpm motor on a sharpening system with a DC variable-speed motor from a treadmill. No more tool burning. As Carol says the controllers on treadmills have to support too many options, although I did jerry-rig it to use the treadmill controller for awhile. Eventually I replaced the controller with a simpler one...you can find those on ebay.
Cheers.

Ed, could you send a photo or two? Also the control information as to what to look for on eBay:thumb:

Replace the track with a sanding belt and have a great big belt sander... :thumb:
OR Do what I did...
Give it to your daughter so now she has to figure out how to store it.... :thumb::rofl:

I think I'll hold off on a sander that big! My shop isn't big enough for that and as far as sending it to the kids..... ones in Oregon, one in Nevada, and one in California. No I'll keep it and make something of it first!:D:rofl::rofl:

Thanks for the replies everybody... If you do come across any photos, plans or thoughts please let me know:thumb: