Another rebuild

Reg Mitchell

Sorry I beed lax guys but I have been busy with a mill rebuild. Didn't get any pic was in a hurry. I do have a South Bend lathe I am going through now. I am concentrateing on my machine shop this winter getting things ready for summer wood working. I have a list from the boss and it seems I am going to need a few things builte to complete her wished
Here's the project
Picture135.jpg

Reg

Good morning guys. Roy you have to look at the ways. That will tell you the story on the machine. It has what looks like flakeing on it it has had very little use. Most of it is worn off under the head. There are a few articals on checking out a lathe.
This lathe is a 1947. There is a tag on it " This Machine Conforms To Orders Of The War Product Board". You can find the info on these old machines telling where it went, how it was tooled, date shiped, price etc...
Stu this would go into your dungon nicely.
Vaughn a metal lathe is like a wood lathe....It would be a small learning curve for the transition.
I have a lot of it apart so I will get a few pics so you can have a peek inside tonight or tomorrow.....we have a bit of snow that fell last night and I need a little warmer weather to do a few things
Reg

Sorry I haven't posted any pic yet guys. This thing is so nasty I can't handle the cam. I have a lot of it cleaned up now so I will try to sneek the wifes cam out tomorrow...:wave:
Reg

Reg,
That's a SB heavy 10 isn't it? Looks like it was set up for small part production work with the collet closer and the turret tail stock.
I had my eye on one a few years ago, but it wasn't tooled well and had other issues. I would really like to have a heavy unit like that, but it wasn't to be.

I'll be interested in seeing your pictures as you go.

Wes

Reg, does this lathe have the ability to mount a chuck?

If it is collet only, is that a real limiting factor?

The reason I ask is that there are a couple smaller lathes on auction here cheap, but they are collet only, no chucks (that I can see....?) I should post some pics and see what you have to say about them...?

Cheers!

Hey Stu.
This will take a chuck too. This paticular machine was used, I assume, for production of some small pieces of some sort made out of brass. Or at least it should have been because the apron it full of brass chips. I would think a "Collet" only machine would be used as a 2nd operation machine. I say "would think" because I have never seen a collet only machine. Not saying they don't make them I just have never seen one :dunno:
As far as limiting factor, I would think so and quiet expensive to tool. With a chuck as you know the piece gets bigger you just crank the chuck open more. If it has a collet closer you have to buy another collet to accomidate for the new size. Now what happens if you need to turn something larger than a collet size because you can only fit in the collet something that will fit into the hole the drawbar passes through. Mine has a 2 1/8 hole, I think. That limits me to 2 1/8 on a collet. Now in a chuck I can open it to about 6".
Reg

Last edited:
Oh ...Hey Wes. Yes it is a hevy 10. I have another one I willl be letting go of after I get this one back into service if your intrested....:D
Reg

Thanks for the info Reg, I don't know much about metal working lathes :eek:

Here are three fairly good examples I found on auction >> HERE <<

I did not want to hijack your thread :wave:

So...... how about them pictures :D

Oh this is neat!

I just got me a metal lathe a couple months ago. FUN.

Vaughn, Reg's right - it's easy to go from turnin' wood to turnin' metal. Two major differences: It's almost all about scraping - in fact rubbing the bevel is pretty much out. The second thing is POWER FEED :D :D :D :D

Being able to engage the half nuts (teehee) and the whole pile of steel on the ways just starts sliding - moving the cutter for you. Your gearing decides the rate of movement and you can use it to take VERY nice finishing cuts, or coarser cuts to make threads.

Just to toot my own horn, I've been having a blast playing with mine. I blame Bruce Page a little for starting me on this metal hobby when he posted that fancy plunge base for the Bosch Colt. Ever since then I've wanted to make metal stuff. Here is a growing gallery of my projects. I'm just gettin' started, but it'll keep growing. :D

Very cool project, Reg! Looking forward to seeing the end product! :)

It's almost all about scraping - in fact rubbing the bevel is pretty much out.
Hey Jason. You can put a bevel on something useing a file. Makes it a rubbing.....sorta ;)
I did a little painting of a few parts today to get them out of the way makeing room for more. I will post them later tonight....Had to come in for coffee :peek:

How about a coffee smiley
Reg

Thanks Kerry. :coffee: :D
Ok I'm a little late with the pics and every thing is in state of confusion for now but here they are
Picture137.jpg

Picture136.jpg

Picture138.jpg

Lathe001.jpg

Lathe007.jpg

Lathe010.jpg

Next

Here are a few I had to paint to make room

Lathe011.jpg

Lathe012.jpg

Lathe013.jpg

Lathe014.jpg

Lathe015.jpg

I think there is a limit to # of pics in a post . I will be doing a bit more tomorrow a little painting if its warm enough and if not I have much more to strip the paint from, especially the light. Thos babys are hard to come by and I am lucky enough to have one on both lathes :thumb:
Reg

It's looking great Reg. What brand of Hammertone paint are you using? I've only used the Rustoleum version. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Wes

Wes that is rustolum. That stuff is tough as nails once its cured. I used it on my powermatic drill press. I can get it in quart and run it through the gun but I don't want to spray so little. I might try it on the bas when we get a few warm days. Tough painting in a wood shop :eek:
Well Stu if you ever come this way I might be willing to rebuuile my other one sor you and you can take it back to your dungon.
Is there a limit on pics I can put in a post :dunno:
Hopefully I can get it finished befor Larry comes through
Reg