Another rebuild

Reg, I'd love to visit just for the tour of the old iron setting around :D

I don't think they would allow that lathe as "Checked On" baggage :rolleyes: besides, I'd want one that makes metric thread, inch threads would not be of much use to me over here.

You can put 10 pics per post, so lets see them pics! :wave:

Cheers!

Metric threads.....not a problem. I can just put in another set of gears and your in bussiness. Its cold and snowy here today. I might do a little cleaning but nothing majore going on, just dirty work. :doh:
Reg

My first attempt at threading on my new mini lathe was metric threads ... it's got SAE lead screws on everything, too. The margin of error was something like .009% per thread so unless you're trying to thread 3-4cm thick nuts onto it, i don't think you'd ever notice. :D

I stared on the main bed and legs and cabinet last night and wokd up a little sick this morning so I haven't been out today at all :eek:. Anyway I was thinking as I was looking over the parts for the cabinet so I would know how it comes apart thinking "man looking at all these parts and they all fit together so precisely makeing one large unit that will hold 1/1000 of an inch consistantly" and it just sorta blows the mind
Reg

Well I though I had better give a few more pics. It is almost ready to paint for the base.

Lathe021.jpg

Lathe022.jpg

Lathe023.jpg

Should get it finished today and get started painting tomorrow while I am waiting for a gear to get shipped to assemble the gearbox.
Reg

Reg,
Are you doing all the cleaning and paint removal with a wire brush! Holy cow, that's got to take a toll on the ol' arms.
I'm amazed at the tolerances as well. Your heavy ten is a really nice machine - and stout too!:D Just moving some of the parts around has to be a challenge since they're so heavy.

Wes

I moved it on a floor jack Wes. It gets lighter as you take it apart. ;) The trick is when I put it back together I will have to make sure it is level and be able to get the floor jack back under it to move it. So it shouldn't really be too bad except when i get it together I have to move one out of the way to put this one in its place. I will sell the one I am useing now but the shuffeling will be a task.
The one I am working on it 3 phase and the one I am useing is single phase, so I have to wie it for that too.
Isn't life a hoot. :rofl:
Not all of it is done with a wire brush. I use a ROS on the large part of it. I have to do it that way because of the vent problem when I started in the cold weather. If it had been warm I would have used paint stripper outside. But I didn't want to wait for warm weather because of the garden, flooring, and an outdoor oven to bake bread and pizza in for the wife.
Reg

Last edited:
I moved it on a floor jack Wes. It gets lighter as you take it apart. ;) The trick is when I put it back together I will have to make sure it is level and be able to get the floor jack back under it to move it. So it shouldn't really be too bad except when i get it together I have to move one out of the way to put this one in its place. I will sell the one I am useing now but the shuffeling will be a task.
The one I am working on it 3 phase and the one I am useing is single phase, so I have to wie it for that too.
Isn't life a hoot. :rofl:
Not all of it is done with a wire brush. I use a ROS on the large part of it. I have to do it that way because of the vent problem when I started in the cold weather. If it had been warm I would have used paint stripper outside.

I guess for large pieces like these, that are just dirty, and need repainting, that are NOT super rusty, the electrolysis method is just a a bit too involved eh?

I used the electrolysis method on my drill press, and it worked really well, but for the larger parts you are doing, that would be no fun, I agree that you can get a lot of good work from a cup wire brush. Sure is going to be nice when it is done!

Reg Mitchell said:
But I didn't want to wait for warm weather because of the garden, flooring, and an outdoor oven to bake bread and pizza in for the wife.
Reg

OK, that is one project that you are going to have to document with lots of pics :thumb:

LOL@Stu....if you want to see it I will. I use electrolysis too Stu. Problem is with this stuff it is very heavy and I would have to build a tank around it out of 2bys and I didn't want to add to the expense or the time to watch it when i was doing nothing anyway due to cold weather
Reg

Well gents I have done quiet a bit of the nasty stuff the past few days. I even got some things painted. :D Its not really intresting to watch a cleaning of something so I opted to wait till I started to put it back in service. I have a few pics I can add later but I am nasty and me and the wife are going for pizza. Not getting between the pizza and the wife. :rofl:
Reg

Well I snaped a few more pics today.
Lathe024.jpg

Lathe025.jpg

Lathe026.jpg

Lathe027.jpg

In the process.....look at what has happened to my poor woodworking shop

Lathe028.jpg

Lathe029.jpg

It looks like a junk salvage shop :dunno:....But its warmed up and I will begetting that in line for wood working soon enough. But I gotta get this lathe done or at least painted and parts back on the main casting ready for assembly. I ordered head bearing today :eek:....trust me you don't want to buy many of those
Reg

Boy, that big cast iron workbench in the last pic almost looks like a jointer. :D I don't think I've ever seen a bench with a fence on it before. :rofl:

The lathe looks like it's coming along nicely. :thumb:

Hi Guys
Yea right you can barly see the floor, but that has worked out too. I use the sawdust and shaveing on the floor in the machine shope to keep the oils from collecting and to clean parts. I wet em down with mineral sprits and grab a hand full of shaveing and rub the grime and liquid off. works great. makes em squecky clean :rofl:
Vaughn, thought I had posted pis of the jointer.

100_0084.jpg

Its a 12" Porter very nice. I should have the bed painted tomorrow and get ir ready to start re assembly first of the week.
I make sure to get some good pics of that since it won't be as nasty
Reg

Reg, I think I remember seeing your jointer before. Always makes me think of this...

Reg's Jointer.jpg

I'll bet it's a pleasure to use.

Not only the jointer, but the table saw makes the GI contractor saw look like a kid's toy. I've been very happy with my GI contractor's saw, but would replace it in a heartbeat with a mangy looking cabinet saw in need of a ton of tlc. Is that an Olie you've got there? Is it running?

Actyally I have two Paul. A 232 and a 270. Both in good shape and the 232 I rebuilt 2 years ago ground up. Replaces all bearings and hand new leads on the motor installed and the motor checked.

myrtelwoodtbltop085.jpg

myrtelwoodtbltop084-1.jpg

myrtelwoodtbltop086.jpg

Reg

Last edited:
well reg your doing fine and when i show up i will make sure i have enough room for the other lathe you have in the way that you mentioned to stu,, i will keep it safe up here in the north land.. lookin good and the deep purple, i am surpized vaughn dont ask where yu got it ,its his color yu know:)

LOL....that hopefully will be sold by then. But it seems that the more I do getting the baby done the more I find to do. I am sure you will help me drink a pot of coffee when you get here ? If I know the day I can probley have a few home made apple pies ready to snack on......or if its a little later in the day I am sure the wife would be more than happy to make sure your well fed before you leave......:thumb: