5 specie Chess Board

Jim Niemi

Well I promised that I would post this Chess Board when I got done with it. This Chess board is made out of 5 Different Specie's of wood: Quartered Cherry, Holly, Quartered walnut, Curly soft maple, and Jotoba. All of the squares are made out of the Qtrd Cherry and the Holly in which I alternated the grains and put a .0625" Chamfer on all 4 edges. The sides are the qtrd Walnut and the curly maple. The bottom is the Jotoba (brizilian cherry) and Qtrd walnut. I finished the Board with a Clear Acrylic Lacquer, then polished it with wax. And to add to it all you can see some dust on the close up pic:p

Now believe this or not I made this project all with scraps:eek: other than the Holly that I bought. Just junk that my shop grinds up in the scrap grinder. the cherry was in 10' lengths I picked up 13 of them ~.25"X2" Mull and the Jatoba was in 3-4' lengths ~.25"X6" etc. And they were going to throw those things away.:eek:

Attachments

• Chess board 044 (600 x 450).jpg
    Chess board 044 (600 x 450).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Chess board 045 (600 x 450).jpg
    Chess board 045 (600 x 450).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Chess board 042 (600 x 450).jpg
    Chess board 042 (600 x 450).jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Chess board 048 (600 x 450).jpg
    Chess board 048 (600 x 450).jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Chess board 047 (600 x 450).jpg
    Chess board 047 (600 x 450).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Chess board 043 (600 x 450).jpg
    Chess board 043 (600 x 450).jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
That's sweet, Jim. :thumb: I really like the chamfered edges on the squares. I don't think I've seen that done before. Great job. :clap:

bought time jim:D:thumb: i was gonna hit you again on it but i see you read my mind.. folks the pics show the general appearnce of it but when you look at the no. of pieces that are in there and fit together it starts to add up to one fine job.. the mitres are spot on everywhere! the first time i saw it, i set my drink down and went over to look it over closer!!! it just draws you to it..

CHESS BOARD!

That is an awesome piece of work. I can appreciate Larry's comment about the miters and I think your pics do a fine job of displaying the accuracy required of each and every one of the 64 squares. The Holly looks like Ivory, I have only heard of Holly being used for light squares and pieces, this is the first time I've seen it and I'm very impressed. The curly maple in the outer border frames it all perfectly.
Maybe I missed it, but how big are the squares + how thick are they..... and someone has to ask - How did you space them 0.005" apart?!
Congrats on an heirloom quality piece.

That is an awesome piece of work. I can appreciate Larry's comment about the miters and I think your pics do a fine job of displaying the accuracy required of each and every one of the 64 squares. The Holly looks like Ivory, I have only heard of Holly being used for light squares and pieces, this is the first time I've seen it and I'm very impressed. The curly maple in the outer border frames it all perfectly.
Maybe I missed it, but how big are the squares + how thick are they..... and someone has to ask - How did you space them 0.005" apart?!
Congrats on an heirloom quality piece.

Well Ken the Squares were ran through the moulder at 1.8750x.310" (I ran them at .310" other than .375" due to my materal I resawed 4/4 lumber that had heavy skip, so even shutting off the preserf head I still couldn't get .375" out of it:()I ran them .010" over thickness for sanding, then cut them to 1.8750" (+ - .002") so they were SQ. and the .005" spacing was from a thicker stock paper.

Last edited: