Router Table - How to fix problem in top

Bartee Lamar

I have been working on a Norm router table for months.

It has gone very well. Except for a few problems.

One problem is you should NEVER route with one hand on the router. I was really sad after all the work I put in the Last route on the table top slipped.

I think I can fill this in with Bond-do What do YOU Think ???

Here is the problem

RouterTableProblem.jpg

Just so you can see the whole thing here is a picture of the whole top.

IMG_0027.jpg

I have been accumulating parts for 3 years. The INCRA adjuster is an old product from Rockler that I bought from a classified in one the wood forums.

The fence is a Rockler Fence.

The Mitre bar track is from Peachtree Woodworking.

Well more later... my dinner is ready.

I am having so much fun with my new Canon A540.....

Bartee, I've used Bondo or the 2-part epoxy putty to fix things like that with great results. Fill 'er in and you'll be good to go.

I have used a lot of West System epoxy for all types of things like that. I guess that any good two part epoxy would work. You can mix all kinds of stuff in them so if you could get some tint (non water base-a powder if possible) to match the top you might have to really look hard to see the patch. Fill it a little high and sand it smooth. Just like using wood filler.

I know how you feel. Just goes with the territory I guess.

That's a great router plate that you have there. Solid as a rock.

Last edited:
Hi Bartee, the top looks great.

I have used the bondo with success as stated. You could fill the whole area with bondo, or FWIW, you could try getting that piece of formica up with lacquer thinner, put bondo in the solid part and cut another piece of formica to fit the area if you have any extra. Depends on if you want to go to the level of effort or not. Just a suggestion.

Until Travis mentioned it I did not think about replacing the formica piece. I have taken formica up by heating it with a heat gun. You start at the edge and when you get it loose just start peeling it up heating just ahead of the peel area.

If it is plastic laminate take it up and redo it. You have done too good a job so far to be reminded of "our" error every time you use that table.
"perfect will be just fine". :D
Shaz
P.S. If you have to use another color of plastic laminate that's okay too. :)

Thanks all,

It is plastic laminate. I am not worried about it looking good as much as it performing well. I will go the bondo route. I just don't want material to catch on the ridge.

While I was upset over the mistake, the overall accomplishment of creating a good new tool for the shop is satisfying. As with all things I build for the shop, I have learned from each of those.

I will create a picture album of this project. I did a few things different than Norm, but mostly followed his good plan.

Last edited:
Well, in the lemonade department, might not be such a bad thing to have a reminder of what can happen when your attention is not at 100%.

Dan