Getting paid to turn?

Dale Johnson

The manager of the Rockler I frequent called and asked if I would be interested in doing a pen turning demo. They were paying $40 for two hours. I would have done it for free. I had a good time, talked to a lot of people and sold a bunch of tools. I never did get a pen done. It was about the easiest $40 I made. Too bad I spent $80 while I was there.

hey dale yu should no better than to go to a place like that with money in your pocket... i know aguy that works in wood craft and his biggest problem is pay day.. just gettin out of there witht the check:rofl::rofl::thumb:

LOL

A familiar story. :D

It's true though. Almost every instructor that teaches and demos at Woodcraft buys a ton of stuff there, whether that same day or not. I guess they are getting paid to spend their money locally. :thumb:

Anywho, congrats on the cool experience! Nothing like getting paid to have fun.

Hutch

P.S. If I didn't have house bills, I think much of my paycheck would go right back to the employers too!:rolleyes:

Dale, know all to well what you are saying. The owner of a gun store I frequent always asks me when I am going to start working for him, I keep telling him I couldn't afford to work for him. Each payday would be the same thing, "okay Les, how much do I owe you this pay period?" :eek::huh::rofl::rofl:

I worked at a drum and guitar store for a few years. I think I about broke even. :D

Congrats on the new "Turning Instructor" title, Dale. :thumb:

I made the mistake of working at a sporting goods store (Gander Mountain) as a part time gunsmith. One of my duty's was to inspect used firearms. I rarely took home a check but I sure was able to contribute to my 401"G" :D

Yep Chuck said it best. They pay ya but it is just a discount coupon. I got paid $80 to do a demo on lidded boxes. Walked out and left another $80 out of my wallet besides the pay.

You should have asked to be paid with tools, and you could do that on regular basis and build up some sort of credit in the shop that will pay for any tool that that wanted.

A friend of mine who is onto train models, he is very good at upgrading them with control chips and others. He does this at home for a shop from which he is a regular customer. Instead of getting paid a certain amount per train modifiyed, he gets credit on the shop for the same amount and in this way he finances his hobby. The only problem is that he is always on red numbers:D

Break Even?

Hi,

When I was a teen-ager I worked in a record (you remember those round, flat, black thingies with a hole in the middle that played music) store. End of month---Do I owe you $5.00 or do you owe me $5.00?

Guess we all get this bug some way or another.

Enjoy,

Jim (No, I am not Glenn---that's my son)

Last edited: