Full Circle

Stuart Ablett

Yesterday I started back to a path that brought me here to Japan, nearly 20 years ago, Aikido, which is a martial art.

I went to the place to buy the "Do-Gi" (pronounced "Dough-Gee") which is the same or similar to the "Judo-Gi" that the Judo guys wear, one VERY large size for myself and two smaller sizes for my two daughters. Yep, my two daughters are going to start Aikido, so I figured that it was a good time for me to get back at it, after a 15 year layoff :eek:

Thing is this cost some money, I certainly hope it will be well spent, but still :rolleyes:

Three do-gi, and three sets of membership at the Hombu Dojo (world headquarters), the girls had to pay monthly dues as well as a one time membership dues, all told, with some other sundries, (knee pads, for example) and I'm looking at over $1000........ but, the time I'll get to spend with my daughters doing Aikido will be priceless, and I hope to set them on a path to learning more about themselves as well. I've found Aikido people to be very open and helpful, much like woodworkers, one reason is there are no competitions, like in Judo or Karate, so just about anywhere in the world they go, there will be a dojo that should be able to help them when they get there and will make up a good community of people for them to be around. The bonus of them being able to whup some low life's butt if they are ever bothered is great too.

I'm turning 45 this year, and I'm way too fat and feel way too old for just 45 years of age.

I recently watched this film "Commando: On the front line" about a group of Royal Marine Commando recruits, it is by a fellow named "Chris Terrill" who makes some great documentary films. He went through the training with the 50 recruits, and he made it and he is 55 freaking years old :eek:

There is a short film on him doing the training too, called "The 55 Year Old Commando" >> YouTube Link <<

Really made me sit up and say "Crap Stu, you get winded on 4 flights of stairs" time to do something about it, so that is what I'm doing this weekend, setting up for a lifestyle change and returning to the thing that brought me to Japan.

One last thing, it was really neat to see my eldest daughter, Erika, in her do-ji, (I had to show the girls how to wear them) as she would not be here today, if I had not started Aikido back in Canada, and then came to Japan to pursue it, now to see her ready to do some Aikido, well, that is full circle for me :)

Stu

Last edited:
Congratulations Buddy, I know the discipline will be beneficial to them and healthy, both for you and them.

But, there are no pictures, so I guess it "never happened". :rofl:

Have fun with it.

Aloha, Tony

Hey Stu, it's a great thing to do something you can spend time with the girls now, because they're grown and gone way too soon in most Father's eyes.:D

Forty four is a good age to rejuvenate yourself too, as I can relate. When I turned 44 I had for several years, been constantly on the go here and abroad, working long high pressure days and nights and eating and drinking way too much. I had gotten really out of shape and the heaviest I had ever been. I transferred to a different branch of the Co. and moved to Europe, where I voluntarily moved back to a Co-Pilot position for a while so I could learn the "Ropes" of constant international Flight ops before I had to be the Responsible Party.;) I didn't get a car there and walked everywhere and ate the European and other Countries food, (which was much more balanced than the normal American diet). One of the duties of a co-pilot was to get the weather briefing, file flight plans and other paperwork at each stop, (usually 5 to 8 per trip). At most African and a lot of other Airports this was done on the top floor of the Control Tower, no elevators, but 8 to 20 flights of STEEP Stairs), I got "PLENTY" of exercise.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Long story short, (er, shorter):rolleyes: within 7 months I had lost 48 pounds, 9" off the waist, (same as when I finished High School) and beat a 21 yr old loadmaster up 18 flights of stairs (by 1 full flight) and wasn't really breathing hard.:thumb:
Note: We WEREN'T Walking up those stairs either.:D

Sooooo, ....... my friend, It CAN be done!!!:thumb:

I thought the funniest thing I had happen to me was when the Owner of the Co. brought his wife over with him and he told her I was in the cockpit if she wanted to say hello. Now we had worked together closely in the home office and I had flown every flight for them for over 5 years, but she came in, looked me straight in the eye with absolutely NO sense of recognition and asked me if I knew where she could find Norman. (Now I had grown a short stubble type beard), but I just couldn't resist and pointed out on the ramp. The boss asked her if she found me and she said NO, he wasn't up there.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I thought she was going to KILL me when I walked down there and said Hi, Denise and everyone burst out laughing.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Get healthy, my friend.:thumb:

Last edited:
Congratulations Stu. Sounds like you are going to have fun with your daughters and that in itself is just priceless. :thumb: My youngest just told me today that he is planning on moving out when he is done school next year and it just hit me how fast they have grown up and how old I started feeling. Where has the time gone?

Yea about the spare tire thing you are not alone in that area. Ive got a bit to loose too.

Congratulations, Stu. That will be a great family activity. I have watched some shows about Akido and find it fascinating. I took several years of Karate-Do when I was in the service and wish I had kept it up. I took my grandsons to the Tae-Kwan-Do lessons for a while and really have doubts about that discipline (I use the word loosely) as a martial art.

Good for you Stu! and for your daughter as well, I'm sure it will be beneficial for you all and all of you are going to enjoy it a lot. ( Specially the girls when they'll make you fall on the tatami:D)

Do they have some sort of grading as in other martial arts by using coloured belts?

Thanks everyone!

Royall, I mentioned it to my doc a while back, and she basically said "When do you start?" :rolleyes: I'll be starting with only one class a week and as I get fitter, and lighter, I'll be going more often.

Toni, they have a grading system you go from 5th Kyu to 1st Kyu, then black belts, 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. I got my 2nd Kyu nearly 16 years ago :eek:

I hope to get my black belt by the end of the year :rolleyes: :thumb: :D

Stu, good luck with the re-newed interest in Aikido. I am sure you will have more fun this time around as you will have the good company of your daughters.

My experience with martial arts have been limited to watching Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan's movies, but I do love bodybuilding (natural only) which also requires a lot of decipline.