Finial Lidded Box

Decided to make a lidded box with a base and finial. The finial I think looks pretty good and has good lines but I am not sure of the base. After I was done I get in that mood of could a, would a, should a, well you all know. Anyway doesn't have any finish on it yet. I am going to be on the road so thought I would leave it and see if it moves and if not I will put finish on it when I get back. The box body is cherry. The finial and base are bubinga. I will finish it probably with antique oil. It is 8 1/2" tall overall and 2 1/2" at the widest. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Finial Lidded Box 1.jpg
    Finial Lidded Box 1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Finial Lidded Box 2.jpg
    Finial Lidded Box 2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 33
  • Finial Lidded Box 3.jpg
    Finial Lidded Box 3.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 32
This purely a matter of personal taste Bernie but I think it would look better if the base followed the curve up in the same way as you have the finial flowing down. Quality etc looks perfect as always:clap: just the form for me.

pete

Hey Bernie,
That an interesting piece. I think I concur on the base... I think it needs to be about 1/2 again the size to look more balanced. I like the finial top though and look forward to seeing the finished piece.

I have to try a lidded box soon... I haven't been able to do much turning this past few weeks... it's been too cold and then with the wife's hip replacement surgery at the end of January, I've stayed pretty close to her as she recovers... she's up and about on her cane now and after the next 4 weeks therapy, I'll be able to spend more time in the shop.

Ya know...if your gonna retire soon, you have to get over the "I may not like it" kinda thing :rofl::rofl::rofl: That is a great piece Bernie...lines and shape and wood selection are excellent.
I hope there are more to follow. :thumb::clap:

Your finials are sure improving as you do more of them (I still haven't made a single one). I agree with the previous comments about the pedestal. I think it would look better blended into the form of the vessel.

Still, it's a fine piece and you should be proud of it.

Thanks everyone. Vaughn I probably should have left the ball out of it and just had a thin spindle. I think that would have flowed from the base into the piece. Next one well can't say that cause I have the next one drying but the next one on the lathe I will give that a go.