First bookshelf

Al killian

I just finished this bookcase for my sister in law. It is made out of cabinet grade birch ply from BORG:( and white birch face frame. It is 33" high x 32" wide x 12" deep. The frame has mitered corners on top and attached w/bisciuts. There are three adjustable shelf from six inches from the bottom thru six inches from the top and the holes are spaced every inch. It turned out ok, but I needed more clamps to attach the FF. I added a little design to the bottom to help dress it up alittle. The finish is two coats of zinnser clear shellec, then three coats of polyacrylic. Let me know what you think of it. Any ideas for improveing my next one or thing that might improve thet look. This is my second project that I am willing to claim.
BCsideveiw.jpg
Savanhasbookcase.jpg
And here is my shop partner that likes snaging scraps.
Homer.jpg

Looks good, Al. Is the front edge of the shelves the exposed edge of the plywood, or did you put solid edges on it? (For a while I was trying to figure out why the top shelf was twice as thick as the bottom shelf, then I realized you had two stacked together.) I'm betting your SIL will be real happy with it.

Let me know what you think of it. Any ideas for improveing my next one or thing that might improve thet look. This is my second project that I am willing to

Looks good Al,

Ideas? Well first, I'd make it twice as tall next time... :D you can never have enough book shelves, I find.

I would consider adding a strip at the front of each shelf, so they appear to be the same thickness as the sides and top. That would look good. I also wonder how it would look if you repeated the design from the bottom along the top - though thinner. Hmm, that feature might belong more on a full 6' tall shelf, and not on this shorter one.

best,
...art

Al

Thanks for the post and the pics, the work looks great. I'll echo the comments about the edge of the ply shelves, if you have any birch left you can easily apply a strip to cover the raw edge. If you make the trim strip a bit thicker put a rabbet in it to receive the plywood it will stiffen the shelf significantly. Might make sense with those longer shelves to avoid sag when they are loaded up with books.

Jay

The height was to fit against the low wall up stairs in there room. I am going later this week to get some birch verneer for the edge of the plywood. Yes the top shelf has two together, I had to get more shelf supports. Thanks for the comments on it.

Al, you're off to a great start. If you use a 3/4 x 1 1/8" strip of birch and glue & nail it to the front of the shelves, you'll add considerably to the anti-sag strength of the plywood. IMHO the thicker shelves look nicer too.
Ken