Experimenting with differnt forms. Here is my funky bowl.

Alan Trout

I turned this bowl yesterday afternoon/evening. The wood pretty much dictated the shape because of a defect in the wood and wanting to keep the height. I figured I would make it an experiment and see how I liked it. It is a piece of mesquite that is about 8.5 inches in diameter and about 4 inches high. The piece is a consistent 1/4 inch think except bottom because I did not feel like hollowing down into the foot. It is finished in Watco Danish Oil and I plan after a few weeks of cure time spraying with lacquer.

I really tried to keep radius's consistent and flowing into each other. Now one of these day's I need to figure out how to take a decent picture.

All in all I kind of like the way it turned out.

Thanks for looking

Alan

Attachments

• Bowl Pic 1.jpg
    Bowl Pic 1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 57
  • bowl pic 2.jpg
    bowl pic 2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 54
Thanks to everyone I really appreciate the positive comments. I really love turning mesquite. For those who don't have mesquite or have much experience with it. Mesquite can be turned green or pretty green to its finished form and thickness. It is so stable that it hardly moves as long as there is no pith. I have turned several pieces since I started turning that were green to finish form and thickness without issue. It is even pretty wood which is just that much more of a bonus.

I am often envious of my turning brothers and sisters in particularly the turners in the Midwest, Southeast, and Northeast for their selection of hardwoods available to them just out their back door. Then I realize that while I don't have as big a selection I do have mesquite.:)

Thanks,

Alan

Beautiful bowl. I really like the shape.

A gentleman in Texas from another forum sent me a box of mesquite. It just showed up one day, un-solicited. It was mostly pen size blanks but a few bigger pieces. I love to turn it. What I received is dry.

Paul where in South-eastern Washington State are you. I have a large contingent of family that lives in the Tri-cities area of the state. My mother is originally from eastern Oregon.

And by the way thanks again all.

Alan

Paul where in South-eastern Washington State are you. I have a large contingent of family that lives in the Tri-cities area of the state. My mother is originally from eastern Oregon.

And by the way thanks again all.

Alan

I was born, raised, and looks like I will die in the Tri-Cities. PM sent.

Last edited:
Dag-nab-it, I did it again. Posted about this bowl the other night and didn't hit the post button apparently. Anyway, what I said is that your curves are great on this piece. It may have been experimental for you, but what you did was to match the concave and convex curves wonderfully. The speed of the two seems to be just dead on for each other. There is no abrupt change of directin or speed and the eye is able to flow easily so that there is no "stop" to the motion. You've done a great job on it.