Computer Help - Part Suppliers? UPDATE THANKS!!

Wes Bischel

I'm looking to replace the fried hard drive on our old laptop and I am wondering what retailers (online or B&M) would be on your short list for the replacement?

Just for reference, existing drive specs:
2.5'
ATA/IDE
4200 RPM
30GB

Not looking for anything special, maybe a little more capacity (80GB?).

Thanks in advance

Wes

Last edited:
Not sure where your located Wes, but here in KC we have a non-profit organization (Surplus Exchange) that recycles computer and office stuff, can find some good deals with them. A used hard drive might cost you $5 - $20. Might check around your area.

NewEgg is good. I've also gotten some good deals from Frys.com When I was looking for a DVD burner for LOML computer, they had the best price and free shipping.
You can also go to pricescan.com or other shopping bot and look by item and the by price, or by brand and model number and get a lot of places and their prices. Jim.

Looks like Newegg it is! Thanks to all for your input. And Vaughn, thanks for looking up a suitable replacement. I doubled checked the specs on the old drive and ordered the one you referenced.

Darren, I'm not familiar with any set-up like Surplus Exchange in my area. It sounds like a win-win type of operation. I'll have to see if something like it has started up here. We do have used equipment dealers, but they sell whole units refurbed.

Stu, I always remember the first computers I worked with - punch cards and paper tape. We had shelving units full of "memory"!:rofl::rofl:

Jim, the pricescan site looks interesting. I'll give it a try.

Thanks again for your help!

Wes

Thanks again for all the guidance and advice. I have to give Newegg a big thumbs up:thumb: The drive arrived yesterday! I ordered in the early afternoon on Tuesday.
Naturally it has been sitting since it arrived since I came down with the stomach flu.:( Not fun.

I didn't mention earlier, we are going to use this computer with the TV to stream shows/movies off the internet, pictures MP3s etc. It's not a real "home theater" PC, but should work fine for the intended purpose. Famous last words.:D

Thanks again,
Wes