Blisterd shellac finish?

Al killian

I just went down to the shop and seen that the table top that I refinished has blisters in it. :eek:What would couse this and whaty is the best way to fix it? Waiting for camera battery to charge. It was wiped down with ms before strating on it. The first two or three coats went on fine. This was sprayed on and allowed each coat to try for 1/2 or dry to the touch.

spray it with straight dna and see what happens?
sounds like there was something under the schellac....wipe with the finishes solvent before squirting, so for schellac use dna, poly (yuk!) use ms, lacquer use lacquer thinner etc.

Like Tod, I wipe with DNA for shellac. In the very worst case (DAMHIKT) you can soak a rag with DNA and get to scrubbing. Once you've got everything off you can, spray it fresh. That's only if a touch up won't work.

what was the temp when you sprayed al? i had trouble with shellac bubbling when i sprayed my dining table top. turns out the the wood had heated up after i finished spraying the one side, and when i sprayed the other side, the gas in the wood had nowhere to go, and made bubbles.

Here are a few pics of the problem.
051.jpg

050.jpg

Thanks again for the tip on DNA. It melted the finish enough for me to use a syn. wool pad to fill in the bad spots. Finished pics are over in the show forum.:wave:

those are the same kind of bubbles that i had, except mine were about 1/8" or so in diameter. a light sanding, and spraying when the wood had cooled down solved my problems.