profile question, double bead

larry merlau

how would you make this profile
on the curved shape i am showing
here on the left side?
the black shape is the profile i am after. this would be the top edge your looking at,,cross section

bead 3as.jpg

hey tod o got the raduis on top solved, its the bead that is givin me fits.. the bit you showed is going to make a flute and my next question is how do i follow the curve on the side of the side panel? i have a curved road and only 2" to ride on?

hey tod o got the raduis on top solved, its the bead that is givin me fits.. the bit you showed is going to make a flute and my next question is how do i follow the curve on the side of the side panel? i have a curved road and only 2" to ride on?

whoops:eek:.......use a standard fluting bit;
http://www.woodline.com/p-1541-roundnose-bit-14-diameter-58-cutting-length-12-shank.aspx
you`ll have to build a 2 prong guide to follow the curves, i use pieces of drill rod, for your piece space them about 1-1/2"-2" appart.

well tod could you scratch out a pic of the jig your mentioneing i think i got the idea of the jig but the bit your showing this time is still gonna make a flute.. will try to take apic of my sample block to show you.. gone to picture takin:)

here ya go larry.......you`ll need to do this in a router base the correct distance from your bit though.

MVC-045S.JPG

ok tod, how do i determine the spacing that you suggested? wont that be differnt for inside curves rather outside curves?

slightly but short of a single point guide (that`ll rock) this is as good as it gets with a spinning cutter unless you build a pattern to use a guide bushing...actually that`s probably the way to go, use the corebox bit with a bushing and a pattern.
to make the pattern flush route a piece of mdf then rabbit the mdf 1/2 thickness and flush cut to the rabbit, repeat until you have the desired reveal.

Larry, I remember seeing a scraper tool that would be just what you need. It looks similar to a spokeshave, has one handle that is adjustable up or down, is reversable, has a positionable guide foot and has several different shaped scraper blades to make beads.

The only problem is, AGHHH, I can't remember where I saw it.

It was in a catalog, but I have looked in all that I have and don't see it again.

I will keep looking. It is just for what you want to do.

Sorry Buddy, I'm just gittin' old.

Aloha, Tony

toni ,,lee valley makes it and tried ordering it the other night and the put wouldnt let me so i hadnt got back to ti then decided that if i could do it with power i would rather. it still looks like aneat tool and i have some use for it yet ,, but havnt tried to ordered it yet its kind apricey 75 dollars for the tool plus some beading bits.. its kinda like acadaliac scratch stock which tod had showed me on th eutch imade,, it worked great for long arches and startight stuff. short runs..

I FOUND IT !!!

Larry,

Lee Valley has just introduced this tool in their February '09 catalog. Look for item # "05P04.50".

"Veritas® Beading Tool

Hand beading, fluting or reeding in hard or soft woods is easy with our new beading tool. Using one of the standard cutters or one that you custom shape, you can put fine detail in furniture quickly and accurately.

Cutters are held against the

body with a clamping bar and are adjustable for height and fence offset. Nearly 2-3/4" long, the fence has two mounting locations to provide up to a 1" blade offset and is positional to expose one of three bearing surfaces: flat for straight and convex applications, curved for slightly concave and waved edges, and bullnose for scribing use on more complex profiles.

Both the fence and clamping bar are reversible for left- or right-hand use and to handle any grain direction. Designed to cut on the push stroke, but usable with a pull stroke.

The body, clamp bar and fence are precision-machined investment cast steel. The leading and trailing edges of the sole are radiused for smooth travel. The generous handles are African rosewood with brass fittings; the adjustable ball knob pivots 90° to allow varying grip.

Supplied with a 3/32" radius single-point cutter and five blank cutters. The 5/8" wide cutters, made from hardened spring steel, are the same used with our wooden beading tool for compatibility. Since both ends of each cutter can be used, this gives you a dozen possibilities. Standard shapes are also available.

Made in Canada. Patent pending."

Attachments

• 05p0450s1.jpg
    05p0450s1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 22
My catalog lists it @ $69.00, with 6 cutters. Are you looking at it @ USD prices or CAD?

Ok, trying to help. Sorry that you can't get an order through. I knew it would work for you though. :thumb:

At least I know now I'm not losing it. :rofl: It was on the back cover of the last catalog I looked at, of course.

Hope you get what you need though. Looks like a nice project.

Aloha, Tony

well toni its still on my wish list,, maybe i can get one when i visit rob,, he or art is pretty close to lee valley store:) cause i do see me using on ein the future:)

Yeah Larry, it looks like a neat little tool. And with the fact that you can grind your own shape cutters makes it more usable.

What are those legs going on? They are a clean design.

Aloha, Tony