What did you do today in the Northeast?

Norman's thread titled frustration is where this post belongs by definition, but I didnt want to turn the thread away from its topic.
I believe this was attempt 14, maybe 15, maybe 16, I took my time, worked slowly, and finally had to pack it in, my wife was not happy I was out in the heat when Im not supposed to be. But vision was working this morning, (let up late this afternoon, cant win them all), and I had to get started on how do I use the router table to make the dovetails Im going to need.

There was a bright side to my day. I had quite a few people over today for bbq, and recieved many compliments on my few pieces I built, especially the radiator covers, even asked what I charge for them.(I declined, I have no urge to have a client, I like to fadoodle when I want to, and no time requirements suit me just fine)

Also, I did manage to release some pieces out of my yard.

My dovetail attempt, I feel like Im on the Titanic, and I feel my feet getting wet.

that is a space on the left side of dovetail, no matter how many time I redid the cut, it seems I get a gap.

Attachments

• wood stuff 779 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 779 (Medium).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 23
  • wood stuff 780 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 780 (Medium).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
too few clamps, too much clamping, losing it

I laid everything out this morning, made some final cuts, dry fit all the pieces, got every clamp I had out and ready, had to run to the MD. in the middle of the day, but got home, and said, ok, time to tackle glueing up this nonsense.
Nice clamp job, gotta use what ya got.

figured I got another hour, let me continue sanding down the white oak top, I was smoothing out the bottom, figured let me finish that up today, and move on.
Problem was, I couldnt find the top. I know it has to be in the garage, and I know I did it.
I was moving panels, thinking why on earth would I lay it over there, or here, its a small garage space, there isnt much room to put anything.

Then it hit me, I had laid some 2x4s sticks on top of the top to lay the clamps to glue up the cabinet. so thats the end of my day, I had to use up most of my whatever brain power was left to figure out where the top was, so the toast got to 9.

Attachments

• wood stuff 906 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 906 (Medium).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 22
Allen, you have me confused as to how many projects you have going. You have posts on different projects hidden all over the forum.:D

Everywhere I turn on the forum you are building something. How do you find time? Don't you ever sleep?

Unlike alot of you guys, I have nothing else to do during the weekdays.
No little kids, all my friends work, wife works, kids work, and Im off most weekdays, so Im free to hang out in the garage.

Unlike alot of you guys, I have nothing else to do during the weekdays.
No little kids, all my friends work, wife works, kids work, and Im off most weekdays, so Im free to hang out in the garage.

You are definitely living the high life:thumb:. Don't feel bad Allen I've done similar things like you did with your top only I think the last one I did was worse. I was looking for my wallet on my bathroom vanity next to the sink the one morning and couldn't find it. Loml went in the bathroom and picked it right up sitting on the vanity next to the sink in the front in plain sight:doh::bang:. Sometimes I think I'm loosing it or she is messing with my mind.

You are definitely living the high life:thumb:. Don't feel bad Allen I've done similar things like you did with your top only I think the last one I did was worse. I was looking for my wallet on my bathroom vanity next to the sink the one morning and couldn't find it. Loml went in the bathroom and picked it right up sitting on the vanity next to the sink in the front in plain sight:doh::bang:. Sometimes I think I'm loosing it or she is messing with my mind.

alan i think she had it and just told you that you didnt see it,,did yu count the green backs to see if they were all there???

YOu guys that work over your heads every day, in construction and things, I gotta give you all kudos, I dont know how you can do it time and time again, every day, 8-10 hours a day.

I dont think there is anything more strenous than lifting way above your head and working with tools on a ladder up in the rafters.

I just had to put up 4 wooden brackets to lift the screen door glass when its not used in season, and just screwing in the brackets and lifting the door has exhausted me.
The combination of the heat and humidity, with the constant lifting above the head, wow, this has to be a young persons thing.
Now I have some space up on top to store small pieces of wood and get them from being scattered all over the place.

Attachments

• wood stuff 907 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 907 (Medium).jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
nice day, sunny, humid, warm, started off cutting and drilling 3 tealight candle holders for gifts, stained them, finished poly'ing the little box I made from scraps(used the cove bit for raised panel top), put 3 coats of rub on poly on the coffee table, I sanded off all the old poly on the top last night, took me almost 2.5 hours., the last coat ruined it, and I was very unhappy, asked a few questions, got the directions, then I took apart around 10feet of cabinets I had put up, tried to save the wood to reuse, but had to use a sledgehammer to knock them down, had to pick all the brads out of the wood so the sanit men dont stab themselves, salvaged some plywood, and thats the day.
OOOOPsss. had a piece of maple with the bark on it, cracked, going to toss it, but since my wife was nudging me today to leave the garage and go to the beach, I made the appropiate sign.(copied the words from someone elses golf sign)

Attachments

• wood stuff 1016 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1016 (Medium).jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 20
  • wood stuff 1017 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1017 (Medium).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 20
  • wood stuff 1018 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1018 (Medium).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 21
  • wood stuff 1019 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1019 (Medium).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 21
Great sign, Allen. :D

So...do you expect to be served the divorce papers before or after you get out of the hospital? :rofl:

Well, "IF" I were to make a sign, I guess it would have to say........ "Gone to take Wife to Airport, Be back Shortly. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: All she does anymore is just tell me that I will need to drive her to the Airport the next day and what time she has to be there, and that she'll call me "Sometime" later and let me know when to pick her up. (Sometimes she even tells me where she's going).:rolleyes: This would actually be Great,:thumb: "IF"...... it wasn't for that long list of Honeydo's she always manages to leave behind.:( No Worries though, (I've got pretty good at Losing the List).:D

Hey Allen, I like your little Box, and Candle holders look Great too.:thumb::thumb::thumb: