Electric upgrade

Not really an upgrade, but looking at saws I have found that even if I get a hybrid it is around a 30 amp draw start up and 20 am running on most of them. Well I would still have to have some work done to be able to run a hybrid since I only have 20 amp breakers in the garage. Figured what the hey, so I have my dads buddy, which is an electrician coming tomorrow to see about just putting in 220 in my garage.

If it works out I should have a new saw ordered shortly. I still don't know if I want to get a grizzly hybrid or just go for it and get a grizzly 1023 or the new 690/691. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. From what I have seen on the net it appears the 690/91 have a lesson motor, which I take is a good thing.

No recommendations on the Griz - others here know more about these than I. But I will commend you on the decision to install 220v service. You'll not regret it.

Riving Knife!!! Leeson Motor!!! No brainer :D :D :D

I love spending other peoples' money :p :p

On the 220v circuits - have 'em give ya a 20a circuit or a 30a circuit - the 20a should cover a 3hp motor, the 30a would cover a 5hp motor. In fact, there should be enough head room in either for that and a DC :)

I am not aware of a hybrid that pulls 30 amps, which one is it? I bought a hybrid because I was never gonna have 220 . . . . next thing I got was a decent bandsaw and so 220 was added, I now have it everywhere I need it and more. On the upside, the saw runs as good on 220 or 110 as long as the circuit is dedicated so I switched it back to 110 and have another 220 available for who knows what.

If I knew then what I know now I would have gotten at least a 3HP saw. The hybrid does great and I have never bogged it. But, you can always use raw power and the cost is not that much more with the newer small cab saw offerings.

Last edited:
Dustin,

A big bad motor is a good thing. A riving knife is even better!

As for power, though: I run a hybrid on a 20 amp breaker. It never trips...

Thanks,

Bill

Dustin,

A big bad motor is a good thing. A riving knife is even better!

As for power, though: I run a hybrid on a 20 amp breaker. It never trips...

Thanks,

Bill

That is good to know and I might just be reading more into it than I should have. It's all still up in the air on what I will get. It all depends on if I can put in another 220 in box. Plus...psst don't tell, but the wife knows I have a dollar in my pocket and keeps dropping hints about taking her somewhere. I would think after buying all new leather furniture a little over a week ago should be enough.

That is good to know and I might just be reading more into it than I should have. It's all still up in the air on what I will get. It all depends on if I can put in another 220 in box. Plus...psst don't tell, but the wife knows I have a dollar in my pocket and keeps dropping hints about taking her somewhere. I would think after buying all new leather furniture a little over a week ago should be enough.

you didn`t holler loud enough about the furniture....each piece ought to be good for a stationary tool......

I would think after buying all new leather furniture a little over a week ago should be enough.

You must be a young man. ;) If there's one thing us old-timers have learned: "It's NEVER enough!" ;)

Just tell her "Honey, if I had a bandsaw, I could make that for you... and that... and that... and I could make them *exactly* the way YOU want them..." :rofl:

Sometimes it works, for a little while... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

You must be a young man. ;) If there's one thing us old-timers have learned: "It's NEVER enough!" ;)

Just tell her "Honey, if I had a bandsaw, I could make that for you... and that... and that... and I could make them *exactly* the way YOU want them..." :rofl:

Sometimes it works, for a little while... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Well young is all in how a person feels I guess. I am only 34 however after 10 years of swing shifts and 2 aneurysms and 2 brain surgeries to fix them in 10 years I feel 60. But hey I am here today and that is what matters. We won't discuss tomorrow until I wake up. You can say I live day to day and I am well aware there may not be a tomorrow. Ahh..... enough sob story. If anyone wishes to discuss any of that I am more than willing to help anyone going through the same thing. It's good therapy. Just PM me.

Dollar for dollar, house to shop, seems fair to me ;-)