Overhead clamp storage

allen levine

I ran out of floor space, and wall space, and yesterday in the cold while trying to sand my cabinet, I backed up, tripped again over clamps that fell down, so I decided I better put most of them up somewhere out of my way.
Came up with an idea after studying the space left in the garage.
Not elegant, no real woodworking showoff'er, but very effiecient, and less than 2 2x4s.
can hold around 2 dozen clamps, I made 8 for pipe clamps, a bit wider, and when I move the bikes eventually, I can put up another rack.

Attachments

• wood stuff 628 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 628 (Medium).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 159
  • wood stuff 629 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 629 (Medium).jpg
    72 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Thanks for the post Allen. You just solved a problem for me. I need a temp place to put my clamps. Have been set to start a mobile clamp storage unit but dont want to take the space. Your idea solves my problem. When I am done I will post a picture.:thumb:

If I could figure out a way to hang a bandsaw, Id have one already.

Im going to get rid of all the bicycles. Theyve been up there for 20 years, the kids dont use them, theres more of them up in the back.
We have 4 or 5 adult bikes and noone uses them, they take up space.

Ive been tinkering with the idea of using a good quality attic stairs hinge system to put up a fold down tool rack that will hold most of the hand tools I need constantly, and also hold the router bits, and table saw blades I use the most. I know those hinge systems can hold alot of weight, and pushing it back up would be great.

Last edited:
carefull allen your stair idea might get stole before you get it done:) the space between joists are usually taken up by emptiness.. you just filled some in:):thumb: