Cherry Lidded Box

Here is the second lidded finial box I made. It is cherry with walnut base and finial. I like this one better. I like the base better on this one. I still have some designs in mind. It is 8 3/4" tall and 3" at the widest. It has a couple of coats of shellac 1 lb cut put on while on the lathe and then 3 coats of lacquer. I like the base better on this one.

Attachments

• Cherry Lidded Finial Box 2.jpg
    Cherry Lidded Finial Box 2.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Cherry Lidded Finial Box 4.jpg
    Cherry Lidded Finial Box 4.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 39
Bernie, this one is definitely more pleasing on the eyes than the first one. I still think though that the body of the piece is proportionally smaller than the base and the finial.

I love these boxes. Been a fan of Cindy Drozdas work ever since I first saw it. Still not sure about the base. Looks as the the body is sitting in it. Maybe that's what you meant. Lovely finish and the overall shape works well for me. Ain't taste funny.....all different.

Pete

Like the continuous flow of the box to finial curve Bernie, finial looks a little heavy for the box to my eyes but That may just down to perspective in the 'photo.

Fantastic job Bernie :clap: The finial is so simple and smooth, it all blends well. How do you do the inside lid? I want to have a stab at one of those.
Bravo Sir :bow::bow:

Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate them.

Larry it takes me about a hour to do one complete. The finial takes the longest being more delicate than the rest.

Dewey on mine I turn the bottom seperate and glue the two pieces. I found it easiest to shape the bottom of the vessel and then when I turn the base it is easier to get a good fit.

Jim the top of the box is slightly thicker that the rest so I can use a square scraper to make a lip for the lid to sit on. Once I get the fit right then I finish turning the finial by turning it around and holding it by the part that fits down inside and rests on the ledge. I put a rubber band around that part so the jaws won't marr it.