Grizzly planers

I had a G0505 and ran 2- 1 X 2 X 48" hard maple boards and it worked great Then I ran one 1X10X9' red cedar board through it. Almost made it before it burned up the belt.

Look for something with at lest 3 knifes the ones with 2 just wont do it other than very light work.

Oh yea I sold it the next day for $115.00 and ran as fast as I could told them everything but didn't leave my name or # :wave::rofl:

Jay

I have the G1017 which Grizzly doesn't sell anymore but it works great, I purchased it from a friend for about $200 7-8 years ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GRIZZLY-G1017-G...CK-PLANER_W0QQitemZ350173817713QQcmdZViewItem

I don't have anything to do with this E-bay item I did a search to find a pic for this post. This I believe is a good buy & the machine looks to be in good condition. This is actually a newer planer than mine which doesn't have the rollers on the fold down tables.

Attachments

• LotImg38749.jpg
    LotImg38749.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Grizzly planer

I've never had a Grizzly planner, but my experiences with planners is as follows.

My first was the Ridgid two knife. Man it was fantastic - I could find no wrong, but I always believe every thing I read (meaning tool reviews) and i always think I need the best; so I sold the Ridgid and bought a recon Dewalt 735.

I had to push the stock in and pull the stock out. I complained long enough and hard enough to the Dewat rep that he replaced it with a new 735 (not a recon). For 6 months it was great! Then it was as bad as the recon. So I sold it and bought the new 3 knife Ridgid.

Results in the planning was supurb, but they changed their dust collector attachment from their previous
model, and regardless what setup I used, directly into a 1 1/2 hp Jet Dust Devil or a chip separator and a 1 hp Jet dust collector, I had as many chips coming out of front of the machine as I did out of the back.

Now I know there will be tons of comments from owners of the above machines disputing my stated remarks, and I'm sure they are all very happy with their units and the results they are getting. And I'm also sure that their comments and their machine performance is as they state and their satisfaction is 150%.

This doesn't make me wrong, perhaps I'm just full of bad karma, if there is such a thing. Anyway i ended up with a Steel City planner, and I'm happy as hell!

Jiggs Elphison

Grizzy planer

Yes, I have the 13" Steel City, I can't give you the model number because I'm two darn old to remember and I'm two tired to go out to the shop - if it's important to you I'll post it tomorrow. - I believe there is only one model 13" planner. I also have the Steel City Hybrid Table saw - Have some very minor complaints, but over all i love it.

Jiggs Ephison

Yes, I have the 13" Steel City, I can't give you the model number because I'm two darn old to remember and I'm two tired to go out to the shop - if it's important to you I'll post it tomorrow. - I believe there is only one model 13" planner. I also have the Steel City Hybrid Table saw - Have some very minor complaints, but over all i love it.

Jiggs Ephison

No need to go look I have seen it when it first came out. Would like to know the problems you had with the Table Saw.

Tony...

My 2cents on planers. It depends on how much you use rough-sawn. If you want a planer to occasionally take the cup out of an s4s or s2s (in conjunction with your jointer of course) then either of those planers will probably serve. But if you're planing s4s, you're throwing money down the outhouse. And once you realize how handy a planer is, my prediction is you're going to want to upgrade. imo, rough-sawn is the way to go...cheaper, and more control of the finished timber passes to you. But once you decide to do that, you should have a beefier planer.

I had a 15" planer the same style as the G0453 for a number of years...it was sold by Enco, no longer in that business, but it was a good planer. Eventually I wanted to upgrade, and bought a G5850 (about $1000 less back then). As Chuck says, a 20" Grizzly that hasn't let me down.

My recommendation is if you're going to get a planer, eat baloney sandwiches for awhile and at least get the G0453 (free shipping right now). If you calculate the cost of hardwood chips generated by reducing 3/4" stock to 5/8 to get it flat, at today's hardwood prices, it shouldn't be too difficult to talk yourself into it. Cry once...we all know the wisdom of that one.

Cheers.